Speedy Encoder

Hello World.
Can anybody help me with an incremental encoder that manages 360 pulses
plus 1 indexpulse per rev, 20,000 Rpm and 120kHz out minimum. Hollow
shaft 8mm is needed also.
Thanx in advance, // Tommy
Did you think it might be too heavy?
snipped-for-privacy@vok.lth.se wrote:

Let's be clear about the numbers. 360 pulses per turn per track lets you decode 1440 states per turn. Is that what you want?
(360 ppr)*(20,000 rpm)/(60 sec/min) = 120kHz, so of course!
Pleas tell us where you looked and didn't find, so we don't duplicate your search. http://www.bei-tech.com/products/encoders/incremental.htm may have what you want.
Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@vok.lth.se wrote in

Hrm...I checked TR Electric, Heidenhann, and a couple of others and I didn't see anything with a hollow shaft rated for more than 10,000 RPM :/
--
Anthony

Get the guts and build your own, these rated to 100Khz, might work at your rather low # of lines? If looking for 1 degree of absolute resolution you only need 90 lines and 180 to be safe. Need a GREAT machinist, like class 8 bearings and good housing to mount.
Might ask HP who uses their guts for 10K rpm or who makes. Could gear down 2:1 also.
http://www.home.agilent.com/cgi-bin/pub/agilent/editorial/cp_MiscEditorial.jsp?NAV_ID=-536884607.0.02&LANGUAGE_CODE=eng&CONTENT_KEYu8570&IDu8570&COUNTRY_CODE=US
also lots of info doing Google search "incremental encoder"
Anthony wrote:

Dennis Mchenney wrote:

http://www.home.agilent.com/cgi-bin/pub/agilent/editorial/cp_MiscEditorial.jsp?NAV_ID=-536884607.0.02&LANGUAGE_CODE=eng&CONTENT_KEYu8570&IDu8570&COUNTRY_CODE=US

Typically what will limit encoders is the bearings. You do not want a through hole encoder. What you want is a kit type which will use the bearings of whatever motor you have this attached to. The old HP kit (Agilent?) encoders had line counts in this range and could operate at this speed, as did encoders from BEI, DRC and Kubler. I spent a few minutes looking, but I am convinced that corporations have decided that web sites are now the best place to serve investor relations and are in the process of terminating all technical information.<G>
--
jeff

Hi guys, actually I found "Agilent HEDS-5645" which is the closest to my specification. They sound too cheap to be true, though. About $70 each.
If anybody have a better tip then let me know.
// Tommy