Rockwell Vert Mill Question

Hello:
I have a Rockwell Vertical Mill, Model, a mid sized knee-type mill, circa 1963 or so. Sort of a baby J-head Bridgeport. It doesn't have a specific
model number on any data plate or even in the maintenance manual.
My question is to anyone having a similar machine: are there any improvements to the spindle brake? Mine uses a friction pad/shoe arrangement that does not lock the solidly lock the spindle. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!!