working with thick lead sheet, helpful advice needed

I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of two

1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". The problem I'm having is trying to work with the sheets. I already had the dimensions of the box and was trying to bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven extremely difficult. Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness than I thought it would be. Any advice? One option I've been trying to think of is a form that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the form would have to be pretty dense I would think. Looking for the simplest solution here as I'm already stuck with the sheets and cannot return them (I would naturally have chosen 1/32" thickness and built up layers if I knew the difficulty I was going to have).

Thanks in advance, J. Dobbins

Reply to
Jason Dobbins

Is is 100% lead or is it a composite mixed with tin or another metal? You could try indirect heat from a propane torch to soften it up some prior to bending (or while bending), or cut each side to size and lead soldier the edges.

Reply to
Rhon Wite

Sheet Metal Brake - or box break

Reply to