working with thick lead sheet, helpful advice needed

I am in the process of trying to make a 12"x12" leaded box composed of two
1/8" lead sheets, each 12"x48". The problem I'm having is trying to work
with the sheets. I already had the dimensions of the box and was trying to
bend each part of the sheet in place, but this has proven extremely
difficult. Lead is a lot more inflexible at this thickness than I thought
it would be. Any advice? One option I've been trying to think of is a form
that I could wrap and bang the lead around, but the form would have to be
pretty dense I would think. Looking for the simplest solution here as I'm
already stuck with the sheets and cannot return them (I would naturally have
chosen 1/32" thickness and built up layers if I knew the difficulty I was
going to have).
Thanks in advance,
J. Dobbins
Reply to
Jason Dobbins
Is is 100% lead or is it a composite mixed with tin or another metal? You could try indirect heat from a propane torch to soften it up some prior to bending (or while bending), or cut each side to size and lead soldier the edges.
Reply to
Rhon Wite
Sheet Metal Brake - or box break
Reply to