240 volt compressor wiring

I have a 240 volt hot tub with a 50 amp circuit going to it and would like to use the same wire run to power a 240 volt single phase air compressor.

I want to make sure, obviously, that I don't damage either unit, so I want to get this right.

As I understand it, the compressor's 2 "Line" leads are going to be the 2 "hot" ones, and I won't use the neutral (white) wire to hook up to it. My spa has all 3 wires (plus the ground) going into the panel.

Will I have a problem if I "T" off the 2 hot leads to the compressor? I don't really have much money and would like to avoid hiring an electrician to do this, but I will if I must. I do a lot of the basic electrical work here at my house, so I have no problem making the connections, just understanding the different voltages when they get over 120v.

BTW I live in the US, if that makes a difference.

Also, what is the recommended way to put a switch on the compressor circuit?

Reply to
GunninGopher

First check the amp draw on the compressor. 50 might be a tad high for protecting the motor on the compressor.

Do you have a panel/junction box at the location where you want to do this? If so you could tap into the connections there and then add your new box with a reduced breaker sized for the compressor or just a outlet for the compressor.

Just suggestions.

Reply to
SQLit

compressor.

He *should* add a separate branch circuit (I used10-3 romex and a 30 amp breaker for my 240 volt unit). I regret not running 10-4, because I later had to power a light, contactor and it's control circuits using a near-by

120 volt branch.

Dave M.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

He *should* add a separate branch circuit (I used10-3 romex and a 30 amp

Sorry... It should be 10-2 and 10-3 Romex.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

OK. I hadn't considered that. You're saying that I should add a sub-panel there and split the compressor off on a 15 amp circuit, since that is what it is rated for. Good idea, I guess. That would solve the switch problem too.

compressor?

Reply to
GunninGopher