Actual power consumption of mid-range PC

What power does a real-life average-to-middle modern PC system unit consume? I want to keep the power consumption down.
Don't know much about current AMD cpu's or the roadmaps but something I would tend to go for something at the "value" end of the market provided it's not a dead end in 6 months!
I would like a real-life figure rather than fill in a consumptio chart and make various assumptions.
-----
My existing PC is: Athlon 2100+ socket-A 1GB SDRAM air-cooled VIA mobo air-cooled graphics GeForce2 card few hard drives It consumes about 115W (under load it's a bit more).
It's 17 inch CRT uses about 65 to 70 W. Printers & scanners are extra.
Please ignore. I thought my system crash meant my previous attempt at posting had got lost.

Jon D wrote:

Obviously you need a bigger power supply ..... ;-)
--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org /

That power consumption figure seems impressively low.
No chance of an error anywhere?

I guess there's always that possibility?
Here's some other reading. They are measured through a APC Back-ups XS 1500 UPS using their software.
Computer only 155 w + monitor 181 w + DSL Modem 190 w + Switch 198 w + Speakers 216 w
these reading are measured at idle, pretty much.
playing a video with sound cranked up 224 watts.

Check out this article http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1937989,00.asp

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:29:24 -0500, RRS wrote:

I checked it out. Wouldn't believe a thing these guys say. Showed charts with Intel speedstep running while the AMD cpu's CnQ was disabled. And then when they explained how it works they got that wrong. Their test indicated to me that it was still not working when they supposedly enabled it. probably because all they did was enable it in the bios and not the OS. Is most of their data correct? I sure wouldn't trust it.