AMPERE TURN FORMULA

I want to design a electromagnet which can pul iron piecs from a distance of 250mm or 500 gauss at the distance of 200mm.I am trying
here to show drawing of this Magnet:
------TOP IRON PLATE---- ==================|| C|| P || C ||--FOUR SIDE IRON PLATE || C|| || C ||--C: IRON POLE || C|| || C || - ----------------- -- - S.S. FACE PLATE | | DISTANCE 200MM FOR PICKUP IRON PIECE/OR 500 GAUSS HERE POWER SUPPLY TO MAGNET 220V DC, 50Hz
Since I saw thousand of calculation for Solenoid Magnets, C Shape Electromagnets but i never saw the calculation for above Electromagnet and I want to know how can i calculate the above. I wrote in many threads that this magnet can design through ampere turn furmula. Anybody can help me to knowing ampere turen formula for design the magnet on 220V DC, 50Hz.
Thanks, Paremji

Where do you plan to get 50 Hz DC current ?
Sue...

Sorry.....this is 415 V 50Hz AC supply and Magnet will 220 V DC

If the pot-core diameter is much less that 200mm you will need to apply some severe correcttions for the 1/r^3 dipole attenuation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reluctance
<<How to Determine Magnet Area where Am = necessary area (square cm) of magnet perpendicular to direction of magnetization Bg = flux density (Gauss) desired in the air gap (equal numerically to Hg, in air) Ag =Cross sectional area (square cm) of the air gap perpendicular to lines of flux Bd = flux density (Gauss) of the magnet, corresponding to the operating point of the demagnetization curve. >> http://labcontrol.pqui.utfsm.cl/~wally/Manuals/General/Magnetic/magnetic.htm
<<How to convert an Amp-Turn rating to Gauss? In the cgs system, one Gauss (B) is equal to one Oersted (H) in air. For coils longer than 5 times their mean diameter, the formula to convert Amp-Turns to Gauss is
B = H = (0.4 * pi * N * I) / coil length
where N = number of turns in the coil, I is the current in Amperes and coil length is in centimeters. As a close approximation, 2 Amp-Turns per inch of coil length develops one Oersted of magnetizing force, or a one Gauss field density, in an air core coil. >> http://www.dextermag.com/FAQ-Sensors.aspx
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22pot+core%22+solenoid&btnG=Google+Search
Sue...

"Magnetics Designer Demonstration Software" http://www.intusoft.com/Magdemo.htm
Sue...