Mounting an electrical box vertically in old work

I need to mount a 4" octagonal (or circular) box within an exterior wall for a porch light. Since this would be considered an "Old Work" application, does anyone have a suggestion on how to hang the box.

Try as I might, I've been unable to find an old work box of this type. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Reply to
Randell Tarin

If it's residential, and romex, Carlon makes a winged box that will fasten in there. Home Depot has them. You can also take the flanges off a metal cut-in switch box and screw them to your round box, then use some "bat-wings" just like you would have on the switch box. In extreme cases, you can get one of those turnbuckle style expanding rods with the fan box on it and unwind it in there. You can screw a box up from the inside if your hole is located along side a stud. Just drill appropriate holes in the side of the box, then angle a screw in from the inside of the box. If the stud is even near the edge you can build it out with wood until it's flush enough to hang your box on.

Reply to
Long Ranger