How to restore an old caved-in box?

I recently acquired an old (seventies) kit, and the side of the box have caved in considerably. This makes it difficult to open the box (the lid clamps itself) and the parts are also pushed together. Does a technique exist to restore the box a bit? My first idea is using an iron, perhaps even a steam iron, working from the inside. Any suggestions or experiences? Thanks in advance!

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

For the best answer, I would try and track down any companies or hobbyists that restore old books and bindings. They might know a thing or two about restoring paper and stock that might be of use to you. We seem to be enjoying a restoration zen these days - most likely there is a chemical/process available that will complement or displace the steam and heat trick.

I have a box restoration question of my own to anyone out there. What's the best glue to put a loose model box back together? Trusty old Elmers? I tried that when I was a kid and they always came apart again. Of course the problem there could have been youthful impatience in not allowing the glue to dry, and loading the repaired box with paint bottles and stuff weighing ten times the weight of the original contents. Seems likely. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I always use Elmer's and clamp it with spring clothespins. I also wait a day or so before unclamping the project. I haven't had one spring open yet. It also works for lids on paper cartons.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Does the box itself have any significance to you? If not, just dump it, and use a box that held another model to work from, or persuade two of the kits in your stash (you have one of those, right?) to share a box for a while.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

old boxes are nice .............

Reply to
Arcusinoz

I can't quite visualize what the problem is. But how about inflating the box with compressed air? To get really creative maybe inflate a balloon or plastic bag inside the box.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

On 16 Jun 2005, you wrote in rec.models.scale:

the box

the box

together. Does a

using an

Any

I've used a steam iron. Worked for me.You don't want to get the cardboard wet. Just damp and then heated. Should work fine.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Yes, it does. I find it quite amazing to hold a 33 year old box in my hands that is still in such good condition (except for the caved-in sides). Plus it could be a reasonable valuable kit.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

Here's another attempt: the box looks like it was at the bottom of a high stack of boxes for a long time: the weight has slightly crushed the box. The top and bottom are still flat, but the side have buckled inwards.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site: