old IMC Skyraider 'mystery' solved!

I, like a lot of y'all, maybe, have wondered why IMC made an inaccurate "A-1H" kit from the Monogram A-1E. I think I've solved the mystery! I recently bought a USAF A-1E/G/H/J Flight Manual. It has a 3-view drawing of both the A-1E/G & A-1H/J. I thought something looked funny about the H/J. Know what? Whomever put out this manual simply made the A-1E a single seater! I bet IMC got their info from this manual. "Official Info" had to be correct!

Reply to
frank

That's the one I never got! The RF-4 was taken off the old Revell F-4B kit and the F-100C was a direct copy of the un-1/72 Revell F-100C. I have no idea where the A-4 came from.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

"It has a 3-view drawing of both the A-1E/G & A-1H/J. I thought something looked funny about the H/J. Know what? Whomever put out this manual simply made the A-1E a single seater! I bet IMC got their info from this manual. "Official Info" had to be correct! "

The 3-views aren't scale, or meant to be--you're supposed to be looking at the plane while you're reading it. But you can be sure the cockpit diagram with callouts is letter perfect.

Reply to
tomcervo

Scale or not, there's enough difference in the two real a/c to see that it's a single seat A-1E/G drawing. If you overlay the two drawings, the fuselages match perfectly. And they shouldn't.

Reply to
frank

Does your manual list accurate measurements for the various versions, or rather generic measurements like 'Wingsspan 50 feet' ? I'm asking since I'm kitbashing the Monogram A-1E with the the Hasegawa A-1H:

I still haven't found reliable measurements for the E, despite consulting at least five sources. I still would like to know whether the E fuselage was wider than that of the single seater, and what the overall length of the E is.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

Have you seen this article?

It's also in the January/February 2005 issue of the IPMS/USA Modelers' Journal (Volume 17, Issue 2) with an additional photo and a drawing showing the cut locations for combining the fuselages.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I haven't really looked, but I've been wondering about kitbashing the IMC kit & the Monogram A-1E in to a battle-damaged A-1E. I would think it should work.

Reply to
frank

Thanks, I hadn't seen that article. I will study it carefully!

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

Could you please take a look in the manual? I've been after that data for years and years, and never found an answer.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site: