Italieri C-130, is it worth getting?

My local hobby shop has an Italieri C-130 (1/48) in stock for $69. My question is: is it worth buying at that price?

I gotta admit, I haven't seen many 1/48 Herks around, and was seriously considering it.

I feel lucky, since I picked up the Testors 1/48 Blackbird there for only $15, and they've finally started showing some of the AMT/Ertl Star Wars reissue stuff. Man, I feel sorry for the folks with old kits on eBay now! Heh.

But maybe I should save up for this summer's 1/350 Enterprise-A, by Polar Lights. :)

Reply to
Casey Tompkins

Well, it's been reissued in one guise or another under both Italeri and Testors names. There are a few builds (at least galleries) over on

- just go to "search" and type in "130."

Reply to
EGMcCann

If you're wondering if $69 is a good price, I'd suggest Googling "1/48 Italeri C-130" and see what pops up. It seems the latest release is going for around $100 so 69 sounds like a deal. Also try eBay. Curt

Reply to
Curt

re: Italeri C-130. This makes up into a very impressive model, I might even say intimidating in the gunship version. I have both the C-130E kit and the C-130A Drone Carrier in "The Stash". I bought the drone carrier after several evenings talking with a friend who had been crew on one of the reconnaissance drone carriers in Viet Nam. Fantastic project!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I was curious about the 1/48 Italieri C-130 as well. I wanted to model a standard Israeli C-130E but I believe the Italieri is, I believe an H or something. I don't know that much about the variances between a C-model and the Italieri H-model kit. Is it a difficult back-dating project?

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Check Ebay for the AMT/ESCI kit. IIRC the Italeri is the old ESCI.

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEatt.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Not at all. Esci and Italeri C-130s come from different molds. The Italeri has rised panels, The AMT/Esci has engraved panels and the cabin windows are completely wrong.

-- Luca Beato -

del plastimodellismo su
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ / X No HTML in / \ email & news

Reply to
Luca Beato

The wholesale cost was just under $50 when I bought some a couple years ago. It's a very fair price considering the amount of plastic you're getting. BTW, is it a "slick" trash hauler or a gunship?

Reply to
robbelothe

FWIW I believe there were kits for both versions. I'd have to go dig into the data base, but I believe there was one, an E, with Blue Angels support aircraft markings, an AC-130 kit and the kit for the drone controller. Also there is word of a C-130J version in the works.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I'm not sure what your options are otherwise for a 1/48 Herc. If it's just the price, well I thought it was worth it when I picked up my drone version

10 plus years ago for $55. Now if it's salt in wound stuff you want, I mentioned this in another thread a while back - a few years before I picked up the $55 Italieri kit, I spotted a pair of gunship versions in the Testor wrappings at Walmart for about $29 each. I hesitated, came back - they wuz gone.

As has been mentioned, you get a lot of plastic in that box.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

ESCI never did a 1/48 C-130, IIRC...

Sten Sundelin (Just made ALPS decals for a Swedish Herc in 1/48 scale)

Reply to
Sten

Yep, I got one of the Testors releases of the AC-130A several years ago along with their 1/72 scale AC-119; waiting for a moment of inspiration to build it. By the way, too bad Trumpeter or one of the other "chance-taking" manufacturers would do the C-119 Boxcar in 1/48.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

the gunship still in production?

I recently opened a website about the AQM-34 Firebee drones you're talking about:

I'm always looking for new material!

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

anyone know what brit drones used vincent engines?

My friend Google suggests the Picador:

A search on 'Picador' didn't yield much though.

Rob

Reply to
Rob de Bie

yeah, same result here. supposedly a bunch were surpled out and haven't been found. that is the only inline v-twin motor i have any respect for.