Anyone with a Novo or Novoexport Sea Vixen here? Not Frog/Revell/Eastern Express/Modelcraft

I'm trying to find out whether the old Frog Sea Vixen was ever released as a Novo kit.

I see quite a few references to it in the r.m.s. archives, but the big Lines/Hellström Frog-book says '0+' were issued by Novo Toys (the English company), meaning that possibly a few test shot were sold under the counter. However, they leave open the possibility that Novoexport (the Russian company) issued the kit in Novo boxes, that could have been among the 2.75 million Novo boxes that they bought when Novo went under with parent company DCM.

Summarizing, has anyone seen the Sea Vixen in a Novo or Novoexport packaging?

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

2.75 million kits in inventory? no wonder they folded.

I handled a few of them in plain plastic bags in the early 1980s, but I never had one in a Novo box. This was before they started reappearing under the various subsequent labels, they were supplied by contacts in eastern European countries. As far as I was concerned at the time, these were Novo products. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Thanks Bill! Your story fits the facts better than what I had come up with so far.

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

OK, I should have writen "2.75 million empty Novo boxes"..

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

there was one in my old neighborhood and it was a daily driver. it vanished for about 4 months and came back brand new. we marveled and drooled!

What year do you consider them folded? Production continued for about 2 years in Canada after South Bend closed up.

Avantis had the last laugh. They stayed in production long after Studebaker left auto production through the efforts of many people. And I think, deservedly so.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

That was a quicky restoration job! Back in the '60s the chiropractor across the street had a blue-grey '50 Starliner coupe as his daily driver. IMHO, it was way better than the Isetta it replaced. I sure wish Ertl had had the brass to bring that proposed kit to market a few years back. I can't say anything nice about Racing Chumps.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

isettas and messers, the german hiways of my youth. wish i had either.

I was told that the Excalibur was supposed to be a Studbaker louxury design as well. If true, there were a bunch of those in convertible and hardtop models floating around long after Studebaker folded.

Reply to
The Old Man

I can't say yea or nay to that but there are so many degrees of connection in the auto industry it wouldn't surprise me if somebody from Studebaker had some part in the Excalibur.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller