Suggestion for a new modeling website

In the vast range of modeling websites of today, there is one missing if you ask me: a website that would list the (brief) histories of manufacturers. The histories of the big companies (Revell, Monogram, Aurora, just to name a few) are pretty well known, but what about Aoshima, Esci, LS, PM Models, Supermodel, etc.? When were they established, where are they located, were they an offspring from another company, when did they stop producing, with who did they swap molds, annual turnovers, product lines, best-selling kits, things like that. The Value Guides by John Burns contain some information, but it is often way too brief to satisfy my interest.

Building such a website would take time and patience, and lots of input from modelers all over the world, but especially the latter would make it fun to do. I'm sure there is loads of information available if you look for it. If I didn't already have several website of my own, I would start such a site myself! Any takers??

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

I completely agree! If you've been around the hobby for awhile, the history of model manufacturers can be really nostalgic.

I recently read the books "Master Modeler" and "Remembering Revell Model Kits". "Master Modeler" was written by Shunsaku Tamiya himself and is a fascinating history of the Tamiya company. Mr. Tamiya tells the story of how the company pulled itself out of the ruins of post-WW II Japan to become a leader in the industry. The book reveals why Tamiya, Aoshima, Fujimi, and Hasegawa all started out in the Shizuoka City area. Why? Because it was a main lumber producing area and "scrap" wood was readily available for producing wooden model kits. The thing that really struck me (and inspired me) is Mr. Tamiya's PASSION for modeling.

"Remembering Revell Model Kits" is the equally absorbing story of how Lew Glazer grew his little toy company into one of America's leaders in models kits. The name Revell was chosen through a "name the company" contest amongst the employees. The business side of the story is as fascinating as the modeling side. The book includes material on box top artists (yellow backgrounds sell well), Ed Roth's custom cars, contests, and how big rivets were INTENTIONALLY added to aircraft models to give the normally smooth surfaces more detail.

I've also just started reading the book, "Airfix: Celebrating 50 Years of the World's Greatest Plastic Kits".

I HIGHLY recommend all three of these books and look forward to reading the Aurora and FROG stories as well.

I hope that someone WILL create a website or write a comprehensive history of the model kit industry while the participants are still around to tell their stories.

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

Thanks for supporting the idea!

I didn't know about the Tamiya book, but I will definitely remember it!

I'm reading that book at the moment. Indeed an absorbing story, I really didn't know about all the genre experimenting, that largely stopped when Lew Glazer's died I think. What I don't like is the rather heavy emphasis on box art. There are hardly any close-up photos of Revell models! It's clearly largely aimed at kit collectors.

Is that the most recent book? I've read an Airfix book issued some 5-6 years ago, and I found it incredibly unstructured, and lacking good data.

The Frog book is the exact opposite of the Airfix book I read: very well researched, very well structured, and you will find almost every detail about Frog kits ever issued.

I wasn't thinking about such exhaustive (but hugely interesting) histories of the companies, especially considering the number of companies that issued plastic scale models.

One more thing: the great thing of webmastering is that you can start with a small site, and expand it as you like. I started my Me 163B Komet site with three pages of information, and information from all over the world started pouring in, with the counter at 1100 pages after seven years :-)

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

I like the idea. I just don't know a whole lot outside of what I've learned from a friend and this group here. I also have Tom's first two volumes of ESM-72 and have read a copy of Burn's guide.

Incidentally, a lot of the illustrations in the Revell book were from my friend's collection. I think he has almost one of every Revell kit and is always interested in variations.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Hi Rob,

Like I said it to you by private email, I agree to add these history in the FFSMC, but I haven't enough data to write serious articles about history of brands.

If you or someone else want to help us, I would be glad to had these parts to the FFSMC.

Cheers

Reply to
Flying Frog

Ok Rob, Been to your web site..got any updates on the AMT custom 1949 Ford? If so how about posting them. I'd like to see. I'm into customs myself.

Mike G.

Reply to
Mike G.

Hi Mike

I have to disappoint you: I haven't worked on that car in two or three years.. I guess I need to prime it, so I can see how far I've progressed, maybe it's not too bad :-) Do you know of some sites that show custom modeling? I could do with some inspiration!

Rob

My models:

Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site: