CAR: Anyone built Hendrix resins?

Some tempting subjects popping up on ebay, so I'm wondering about their quality. I'm familiar with Modelhaus, R&R, and Flintstone resins. Where does Hendrix fit in?

-- C.R. Krieger (bated breath ...)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

That's a new name to me. I may have read it over on the HH Board but I don't recall. What types are you finding? It would have to be intriguing before I'd consider expanding beyond Modelhaus. My several forays have usually gotten my fingers rapped good.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Late '50s/early '60s Mopars and Fords. At about half the price of the average Modelhaus kit, you can see why I'd be tempted.

As I said, I've done R&R kits. To say they 'need a little work' is understatement, but they're cheap and they're adequate for subjects you can't get elsewhere. I've seen some horrible slush-cast pieces laughably sold as model truck cabs. There's also some late '40s/early '50s stuff on the 'bay that looks bad even from the photos. Bodies about 1/4" thick with chassis made out of sheetmetal apparently bent up with a pair of pliers. I am not going there.

-- C.R. Krieger (bated breath ...)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

C. R. Krieger typed out:

OK, I'm intrigued! Got myself a Modelhaus '56 Dodge and have the old JoHan '59 but the only thing between is the TKM '57.

I've got one of his, the '56 Studebaker Hawk. It looked great in the box. It wasn't until the first coats of primer that the pinholes showed on the hood. Add to that the generally surly service and I'd rather leave them alone. I've seen some horrible slush-cast pieces

The afore-mentioned TKM! I bought 2 of his, the '49 Dodge wagon and the '53 Coronet hardtop. After 12 years of on-and-off work I sort of got something with the wagon. The Coronet may take longer. Dremels are a necessary tool with those 'kits'.

Then there was the '55 Dodge body from Scale Auto Replicas. Antonucci should have been ashamed he cashed my check (or anyone's). I was disappointed with Heyer's work too. I never got any of Fleszar's but SAE ran him out of business before I could get burned.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Take a look:

Of course there are a couple MH Mopars from the period available:

and

I bought them from a middleman, so service wasn't an issue. You're right about the surfaces not being up to MH standards, but after grinding out several ounces of resin to get the grille to fit, I kind of expected that anyway.

You mean this?

Antonucci

Thanks; I'll keep those in mind, too. ;^) So maybe somebody oughta' spring for a Hendrix just to see ...

-- C.R. Krieger

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

All of those took me to the same auction but it looks interesting. As I mentioned to somebody here in an e-mail, the '57 always heats up my pulse. :) I wonder if Hendrix is the source of those chromeless resins that HH is selling. Most of those are re-pops of oldies. AFAIK the '57 only was made in a promo, and an acetate one at that. I hope Hendrix used a 'straight' one.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I guess resin is a bit of a misnomer, as the subjects are definitely multi-media. And Jim's other subjects are just as eye-catching as his Hendrix:

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Greg Heilers a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :

Hi Greg,

Not sure it is a misnomer :

HENDRIX MFG. CO PO BOX 1937 PIONEER STATION ST PAUL, MN 55101 Phone 651-778-1550 Fax 651-778-0530 Contact: Ron Resin cars and parts for ?50s and ?60s cars. V/MC Catalog: 55 cent postage

Cheers

Reply to
Flying Frog

Uh, not resins *of* Hendrix; resins *by* Hendrix. They're cars, not dead rock stars.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; got the CD)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

ver are you papers, olt man?

No kidding...lol...I just had been waiting for a reason to show these figures. Mainly because the Hendrix was given to the legendary Alex "Wencho" DeLeon, as a gift. You may know Alex for his incredible

1/16th scale scratchbuilt Fokker D-VIII, which swept the top awards at all the big shows, a couple of years ago. Alex, being a super modeler, is also a hardcore biker, and hardcore Hendrix fanatic...lol.
Reply to
Greg Heilers

Unless there are more plaster casts out there... ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

out on dvd.

Well, I got mine today in the mail. Looks pretty good except for the hole in the nose. There's a hole about 2mm x 1mm in the valence that sits in front of the hood. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. Whoever glued the taillight mouldings on the master let the right one drop just enough to be noticeable. Some flash that looks easy to remove. The mini sheet of instructions recommends using tire bleach to remove the release agent. It specifically forbids Easy-Off and CSC. I've used Easy-Off on Modelhaus and R&R without trouble but I guess I'd better track down this bleach. Was it worth what I paid for it at auction plus the shipping? I don't think so. I think I'd rather outright purchase anything from Hendrix in the future. OTOH, I'm intrigued by the model represented. I'll have to do a little research on Club Victorias.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller