Shallow subject - submarines.

I live in a city (Manitowoc, Wisconsin) where we are fortunate to have a Gato-class submarine (The USS Cobia) moored in the river mouth downtown. While it wasn't built here, 28 others of its class were. As we passed by it the other evening, my 9-y-o daughter remembered how I'd told her it sank a few years ago in the river. The Manitowoc River being about a foot deeper than the draft of the ship, almost no one noticed ... Then she asked how deep it could go. I wasn't sure, but the library is across the river and we were in the parking lot, so we went inside and quickly found the information. The maximum dive depth rating was 300 feet.

Waitaminnit. The ship is *312 feet long*. It suddenly dawned on me that this thing, if stood on end, was beneath its maximum dive depth rating! I walked back outside and looked across the river at it, trying to grasp the scale of what had actually been going on during the war. Wow. Needless to say, most of those movie depictions we've seen for decades are basically wrong - or at least out of scale.

300 feet is pretty damn 'deep' water by Great Lakes standards (only Superior has a deeper average at 500 feet, while 300 is deeper than the maximum depths in Erie and Ontario). OTOH, Wikipedia references put the average depth of the Atlantic at ~12,000 feet and the Pacific at ~14,000. So all those subs were 'skimming' around at less than 300. They certainly weren't lurking near the bottom (except in continental shelf areas averaging ~450 feet) as some films might have you believe.

A little Googling around finds U-boats at about half this length (if you're more familiar with the U-505 in Chicago as opposed to The Cobia) with maximum depth ratings at about 450 feet, or three times their length.

I don't know about you, but I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

And I'm astonished that the Great Lakes are as shallow as that!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

and now that they are getting progressively clearer, it will be easier to see shallow wrecks. i've heard that some as deep as 100' were sometimes visible.

I was like you when I first came to that understanding - the first thing I thought of were the movie scenes of deep water battles with the model shot of the sub lurking near the bottom. The veterans that worked production on films after the war and knew better must have had the utmost respect for antacid.

IIRC, 300 ft was the safe rated depth - they'd go deeper. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

C.R. Krieger wrote: Needless to say, most of those movie depictions we've seen

That is why I always state that Movies are 'merely' Entertainment . At least when I took the course back in the 70's , one of the requirements before you start Scuba a person has to be able to swim 50' underwater . Soon diving at 33' I noticed the surface was no longer visible which meant all the James Bond movies (and others) where the divers had their airlines cut and they died right away were phony as you could clearly see the surface only 20' away . Driving Trailer Truck at the same time was another view of how much Hollywood distorts the truth as in all they do . Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was true though .

noddy

Reply to
noddy

/../

Interesting isn't it. I get the same feeling when thinking about how aviators would attack their targets, being fired on the whole time (if they were unlucky) and able to manage only something of the order of

300-650 km/h. IT must have felt like standing still when coming in from several kilometres away. Same with the fairly close-range tank battles. He shoots, misses. You shoot. Once chance or you're no fire by the next round. Scary scary scary. What the books don't tell :-)

As for the subs, you can appreciate why the Germans continued to build the Type VII till the end of the war. In that limited envelope manoeuvrability counted for A LOT, including the all-important dive-time. No way could a Type IX, let alone a Gato, manage those short dive times.

And now consider how f**cking scary it must have been to operate in SHALLOW waters, like parts of the East China Sea, where on a clear day planes could see right the way through to the bottom . Good thing most of the crew were young, if they had any age on them most might have said "no f**cking way, I'd rather contribute more usefully using my brain!" LOL

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Add the Med to the list. My Dad said on his way into Italy they could see them down there as clear as if they were on the surface.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I guess that was the reason aircraft were so effective, as from high up they could do that. A ship near the surface would have no luck I suppose.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Yes, I always thought the seaweed monster was real too!

Craig

Reply to
crw59