dealing with a nuisance dog

get the dog barking early in the morning,3:00 to 4.00 am,when the dog's owner is sleeping,get on the phone call the dogs owner, don't give your name or say anything just start barking, hang up wait 20 or so min. do it again, wait about a hr. do it again. It took three nights for it to work for me, then I heard "BARK,BARK,BARK,YIPE!! never heard another bark, never saw the dog again, did see a small pile of freshly turned earth behind Fido's dog house though:)

Reply to
<bkravis

This will probably fall foul of various legislation. However, a call to say "Your dog woke me up" probably wouldn't.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

When I was a child a neighbor had a dog that would go woof-woof-woof all the time, until one day it went woof-woof-bang.

Reply to
Nick Hull

The voice of reason. How refreshing. -- Fred

Reply to
F. Hayek

Yup. No reason to be a coward about it and try to disguise your voice either. "I was sleeping, now I'm not, and now you're not." Repeat as needed.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

--This is evil. If a dog is raising a ruckus he's usually got a good reason and more than half the time it's a negligent owner. Next time report to petfinders.com or humane society and they'll find the dog a proper home. SWMBO rescues critters and, in my experience, there's no such thing as a dog that can't be cured of unsocial behavior, once relocated to a (mentally) healty location.

Reply to
steamer

Dogs aren't happy when separated from their pack. Putting the dog outside at night separates him from his pack. Makes them neurotic and barky.

--RC

rcook5

Well, some dogs are just a pain in the ass. Just as people differ, so do dogs. I've had 3 good ones, and the current one is loud & rock stupid. The only thing different is the dog.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Actually, he doesn't bark unless someone is outside. I've never heard him bark at night, and we sleep with the windows open when possible. Only when someone is outside, in an adjacent yard. My yard is about 300 feet deep, and he covers all of it ;)

Reply to
Rex B

The dog thinks he's doing his job - protecting the perimeter. He's just overdoing it due to lack of supervision. the owners occasionally let the dog in the house, but mostly he's outside with only an aged chihuahua for company. Chihuahua barks too, but only as a muted accompaniment.

Reply to
Rex B

I agree. Decades ago I had a white german shepherd that was dumb as hell. But he yapped constantly. We tried like hell to shut him up, finally got him a new home where his barking was not a problem. Next dog was just the opposite - silent and smart.

Reply to
Rex B

Any reason you can't go outside in the night time?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I bet the dog said the same thing about his owners.

Reply to
KLined

Right. Same owners, different dogs. Several good dogs, one not so good one. What has changed? C'mon, it's not a tough question.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Horseshit. 'Nuff said.

Your experience, then, is either next to nill, not worth a pile of dogshit, or both. With utter contempt for Barbara Woodhouse (or whatever her name is) there are indeed bad dogs. And one that barks incessantly for no valid reason (intruder in the yard is the *ONLY* valid reason) is a bad dog. Bury the damned thing and be done with it, then try again with a good one.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Agreed! But: The problem here (original poster) is the neighbour's failure to recognize/deal with the problem.

Here is a suggestion - Bose! Put on a set of their noise cancelling earphones, plug in your favorite music, Sit down near the fence with a cold beer (or beverage of choice) and read a good book while the dog drives the neighbour nuts. Throwing the odd treat to the dog (optional) while all this is going on may also tend to cure the problem. Upside; You know you always wanted one of these headsets and now you have a perfect excuse and all said and done it is probably cheaper (and karmically [sp?]correct) than most of the suggestions in this thread.

Regards. Ken. (the voice of reason kills a good thread)

Reply to
Ken Davey

How much would you have to feed the dog for it to die of overeating?

Reply to
Nick Hull

Reply to
Rex B