Open letter ISP/AT

Open Letter Re: ISP/AT auction.

1/25/2004

This letter is meant to set straight the intentions of AMW Inc. regarding its pursuit of the purchase of ISP/AT assets.

We are already hearing incorrect issues and malicious statements, resulting in this statement of our position.

We have received notice from the Attorney representing ISP/AT, (Gary Rosenfield) referred to as DIP (debtors in possession.), of the intentions of DIP to sell the ISP/AT assets free and clear of any debt.

Said Notice advised of an offer for the sum of $30K from RCS Inc. (Gary Rosenfield).

The Notice also was a request for additional offers, to be received no later than 5 business days before the hearing.

1/22/04

Being that this was Very Short Notice, and the wealth of unanswered questions, incomplete financial statements, etc., we immediately hired an Attorney to investigate, and to help AMW Inc. receive further pertinent information.

AMW's attorney, having attended the creditors meeting, spoke with the US bankruptcy Trustee, and subsequently filed a motion for more time, and additional discovery. The Court agreed and set a new date for the hearing.

AMW's attorney felt that there might be some legal question regarding RCS's ability to legally acquire these assets (insider sale, lack of long arm transaction, to name a few indiscretions, in our opinion)

I, Paul Robinson, as the principle of AMW Inc., decided to call Gary.

Amongst other things, there was some talk about how "Bad Chemistry" has transpired over the last couple years between Gary, I, and another Manufacturer.

We talked about how the Acquisition of AT might be viewed by some as a "trophy", to hang on the wall.

This obviously is one of many reasons I am writing this letter.

Gary and I agreed that we could not point to any particular incident, but perhaps just bad Karma, and a series of misunderstandings, or business posturing.

The important thing here is the fact of dialogue! I have spoken to Gary on 3 occasions in the last couple weeks, and group postings have recently happened with another mfg.

So much for a brief on history.

Moving forward.

It is AMW's intention to bid on the assets of ISP/AT, and assure that all the assets and financial records are disclosed.

One cannot make a sound business decision without correct or complete information.

One of my (as well as others) personal concerns in this business is, what will happen to Gary and/or his staff?

Gary has been a part of rocketry since its early times and one cannot overlook his contributions, along with others, some of whom are still fightingL.

I can tell you that there have been discussions with Gary. One option is if Gary would remain with some of his help, but work under a new owner.

Obviously, Gary and I understand that might be a bitter pill, and more research into such an option is needed. All options are open for review.

The PARAMOUNT concern is this; that the end users who have invested in Aerotech hardware and products be supported. and that is the delivery of product return to the timely status it was two years ago.

I repeat, AMW's primary goal in this venture is to secure customer investments of AT hardware with product, insuring that their investment will not become a bad debt write off., or a wind chime!!

Though it has not been Gary's desire to see cross compatibility of different manufactures hardware, I believe that is the future. I believe that for our hobby to live and grow in the future, we must find a way to help keep it affordable. My belief to secure that future is co- operation between manufactures, instead of discord.

Wouldn't it be nice to know that most any load you wanted was available for the hardware you currently owned??

My efforts are in fact to save ISP/AT (or what it represented) and restore it, not to bury it. One of the big problems in this hobby, has been the "constant fighting, protracted lawsuits, I own this, and I invented this, you stole this, and this one did that". This is, and has been, detrimental to the hobby. This will help put an end to such behavior, though it can't be done alone!! That is one of the reasons for my desire to purchase Aerotech. I want to acquire the rights to open up the field. Let the customer benefit from open technology.

For the most part, the designs and products that are out there are public domain.

The military was using snap rings back in the 50's, tracking smoke, etc.

Unless you made an effort to protect your ideas through the legal Patent process, give it up. With very few exceptions, most of the stuff we use today was already thought of.

CTI and I have had talks regarding this. (Pro AMW) we are looking for feedback regarding these ideas!!

Both Anthony and myself are in complete agreement that it is good for the hobby.

What do you the customer think??

Let quality, reliability, and the customer's right to choose dictate his purchase.

Yes, there will be some questions regarding warranty, and a "few" that might be dishonest, and try to exploit to their advantage.

But for the most part, if people know that there is a common goal, they work together. (Fly Rockets as an example)

I welcome constructive dialog, and rational ideas to help solve some of these thoughts.

Sincerely

Paul Robinson

President

AMW Inc.

Reply to
paul

Paul,

Thanks. That was much appreciated!

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

On yet another hand, that sort of attitude - where each manufacturer views the others as "competition" may well be dysfunctional in present circumstances - what we need now is "Cooperation, Not Competition": if Aerotech intends to ever really be in full operation again, what it will need is a viable market to sell into.

At the moment, they (and NAR/TRA) ought to be aiding and _encouraging_ any and all possible other suppliers to go into the HPR (and especially LMR) markets. My opinion is that the effect of this would not be "stealing the LMR/HPR market from AT" so much as "keeping it warm for them to come back to".

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Paul, Thank you for posting this. I think cross-compatibility between mfgr's would be great. My questions would be what about the lines of motors that Aerotech made that either yourself or Anthony C. did not. Specifically,

29MM and mid-power stuff. If AMW acquired AT/ISP, would you mfg that stuff as well?

And what about the smaller single-use motors, say G-80 on down? Many people have commented on RMR about their displeasure on the availability of these types of motors.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

J.A. Michel

Paul - I am totally for a universal hardware. It would make the commercial motor world so much easier. I salute your efforts.

Reply to
Stephen Corban

"paul" wrote in news:t7Kdna9uf6S snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Don't forget that a lot of the appeal of AT's product line was to users of SU F and G impulse motors, and the smaller SU motors OEMed for Apogee.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

I don't know, seems to me anyone holding the upper hand would not be served by discarding it under normal circumstances, and reducing competition is definitely an upper hand. However, at this time AT is hurting enough they may have to discard it to survive.

In what way could they do this without relaxing the requirements that other manufacturers have had to meet?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Yes! Currently AT is the only significant supplier in this range.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Reply to
Alex Mericas

build them so they fit, built them by the thousands, build enough to keep us in stock.

I don't think i've ever seen a motor manufactuer go broke by having too much inventory on store shelves

feel free to send me any and all test loads you want flight tested

(working on analytical test stand also) (and LEUP) (and Waiver procedures) (plenty of frozen lakes to fly on) (don't mind losing rockets to Catos)

Reply to
tater schuld

Yes, I'm aware that Ellis has some G motors, but so far their selection is very limited and availability is even more limited. They don't have CSFM approval either so they're not available in CA at all.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I fully support compatibility between manufacturers. It works in the rest of the world, why not with rocketry? My concern though, is what Len has pointed out. One hundred percent of my flying is with 29mm G and lower, and mostly single use. I am working towards L1, but even with that, most all of my flying will be low to mid power. The selection for E,F,and G motors with out AT, is extremely slim. Especially since what hardware I currently have is AT's. If AMW purchases AT, will the 24mm and 29mm line of motors and reloads be continued? David Logan NAR#79313

Reply to
Dlogan

david: only time will tell... I do think its instructive to look at both AMW and CTI's current product lineup.... I notice no 24/29mm motors at all... Why? Insurance costs.... shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

It does? Can I really buy GM engine parts for my Honda VTEC?

Can I put a Nikon lense on my Minolta SLR?

Do Sunbeam beaters fit our Kitchenaid mixer?

Can I use my SD memory card in my friends Sony digital camera?

Bob Kaplow

Grrr this makes me mad

below

Can you buy NON honda parts for your honda. YES

Can you buy NON minolta lens and stuff for your minolta. YES

Can you buy third party for these. PROBABLY unless they are so cheap thats it not worth their time.

Depends. I have seen many sony camera's that take PCMCIA cards so you can get an ADAPTOR for any type of card.

Better question. can you buy NON SONY memory sticks for your memory stick camera. YES.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Gary is a model rocket zealot. If you ask me, that is a feature, not a bug.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

YOU CAN put MOBIL, SHELL, CITGO fuel in GM, HONDA , FORD, ETC.

YOU CAN put FIRESTONE tires on NISSAN Dodge and Chrysler

YOU can add a practically unlimited assortment of after market items to virtually any make and / or model.....

YES mfg,s need individuality and a niche, DOING it and SHARING some features makes the business GROW for EVERYONE. its better for mfg AND most of all consumers.....

Paul's Idea of somewhat universal hardware WILL happen... its just a matter of time... AND I hope the time is NOW.......

Bobby B

bobbyb

Attention ANIMAL WORKS -

I hate it when the vultures start circling. And I hate it when I am played for a fool... Please don't patronize us with your "concern" for the owner(s) and employees of AT, nor your concern for the present owners of AT hardware - anyone with half a brain will see this for what it is.... a stinky crock that is running over at the brim.

Anyone with half a brain will see that this is nothing more than opportunistic vultury. It is pretty obvious that you want nothing more than to see Aerotech's books and records.... cheap marketing and financial modeling information indeed. You want cheap publicity. You want a shot at taking over Aerotech's customer base and market share. Perhaps create a little havoc for a competitor who is presently bleeding, down and hurting.... maybe a shot at forcing said competitor into bankruptcy by delaying things as long as possible.... after all, they need cash to run and who in their right minds is going to inject cash into a company with $6M in red ink prior to reorganization? Keep them waiting long enough and you will obviously force them either to close down or to hibernate for a while. We, as customers, suffer. Thanks for your help. Not.

Why even bother to tell us that AMW is interested in AT? Just go about your business and do your nasty work of vultury.

If you had a real concern for everyone - you might think about reigning in that greed in your eyes. Vultures stink, even from a distance.

If you are so concerned why not cut the guy some slack so he can get back on his feet, instead of feigning concern for them. They sure don't need YOUR kind of help.

Methinks you have shot yourself in the foot.

God, I hate when someone plays me for an idiot.

I, for one, will wait for Aerotech to reorganize and get back on their feet, the good Lord willing. They are a good company and deserve that chance.

Reply to
M D Lampert

Perhaps a more apt question would be, will your small appliance work with any manufacturers batteries?

NaCl

I discussed this with Paul Robinson, should AMW purchase the AT assets.

My point to Paul was lots of people are nervous about AMW purchasing the AT assets. I pointed out the lack of product below 54mm in the AMW line and stated that if the AT line of single use and reloads in the smaller diameters (below 54mm) do not continue, we can kiss the hobby bye bye. These motors are most flyer's entrance into bigger rocketry. Without these motors, our hobby will suffer attrition, wither and die. Paul acknowledged this and stated their intention is to continue production of these important motors.

Paul does not want to see motor hardware become expensive wind chimes in black and red. He believes manufacturer A should be able to make reloads for manufacturer B hardware and visa versa. This really opens up the options to the consumer.

Do not worry about the warranty stuff. The motor manufacturer states the intended configuration and the motor is certified in a specific hardware set. If it catos in said hardware, it is just like purchasing an AT reload and it catos, they replace the hardware (regardless of brand) and the reload, too. I am confident the motor manufacturers can work something out.

Regards,

Mark Saunders BSD High Power Rocketry Glendale, AZ

snipped-for-privacy@bsdrocketry.com

623-486-5655
Reply to
Mark Saunders