A new start for Aifix.

Thanx for all the answers about Heller.

But when it comes to Airfix I am a little worried. It is good that all Airfix moulds are in port, but do we want this Hornby guy to produce those crappy old kits again? Isn't it better to put those moulds in a museum and look at Hasegawa and Trumpeter to set the standard??? Sure Airfix is nostalgia, but is that enough today??? Will this make more people start building kits or do we want those old kits when other companies make better kits of the same airplane or tank? I don't think so. Hope Airfix will take some idéas from the asian companies and start making new high quality kit for the masses...

//André

Reply to
4. André

Since - according to reports I've read - Hornby has bought the origninal moulds, that appears to be exactly what [they] intend to do. Hornby has already done something similar with the railway brands it bought recently.

BTW Frank Hornby is long dead and the current company has litle to do with him other than having bought the name.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Why would anyone want to produce new kits under the Airfix label? The reason Airfix went broke is there are already more manufacturers and more new things on the market than anyone could possibly build let alone all the old stuff still being packaged. There are people out there with 1000 kits in their stash complaining about some obscure subject that isn't available. It's the old law of supply and demand. The model building hobby is shrinking while supply has grown. Something's gotta give.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Maybe you are right. Maybe we are better without Airfix. But it's still nostlgia...

And sorry about the Hornby misstake :-)

//André

"Count DeMoney" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
4. André

i'll buy the kits that are now rare and expensive. which seems to be every one i want to build

I'm glad that airfix has a buyer,and I for one hope they continue the re-issues.I bought a lot cause they were much cheaper then tamigawa...and more fun to build for not being state of the art!

4=2E Andr=E9 wrote:
Reply to
eyeball

I'm glad that airfix has a buyer,and I for one hope they continue the re-issues.I bought a lot cause they were much cheaper then tamigawa...and more fun to build for not being state of the art!

4=2E Andr=E9 wrote:
Reply to
eyeball

Send me your list. I may still have some of them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

andre snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (4. André) wrote in :

There are still subjects for which Airfix is the only game in town, and I'd rather have a crappy kit than no kit at all. Also, those 'crappy old kits' are still in enough demand that prices went up once the news of Airfix's problems became public. And third, not all of Airfix's kits were bad. Certainly their recent releases were rather nice (yeah, yeah, maybe not perfect, but then again they don't cost the earth). Airfix had a test shot of the RNLI lifeboat on their stand at Telford, and it looks brilliant.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Hardly, Hornby had to purchase the moulds from the liquidator at modern day prices so they will have to raise prices to pay off that cost.

It hasn't worked for Hornby's railway models. Since they've been made in China the packaging has been terrible and prices have risen sharply.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I should bloody think so too, it's British! :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

True, but they run a LOT better...!

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

A senior exec from Hornby said in a radio interview last week that they intend to go after 2 ends of the market: One, the theme end of the market e.g Wallace & Grommett etc to encourage new young model makers. The other the high end enthusiasts looking for fine scale.

Wait and see.

Regards JP

Reply to
JP

i hope they don't ignore the cheap kit bashers. i need at least 4 more sunderlands and 3 stirlings.

Yeah, so where was the Lerwick?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

JP said the following on 23/11/06 00:12:

Maybe they could produce mobile phone, X-Box and iPod kits for the lazy?

It shouldn't be too much of a problem for them grabbing rights to the Dr. Who and Torchwood series.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Torchwood is likely to be cancelled before they could produce the first model. It's unlikely to be missed either.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

And so far the only model that could be tied in with the show is a Range Rover.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I heard Lego already make one :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

kim said the following on 23/11/06 16:14:

Damn right but someone must like it...apart from the self-serving writers. Nah!

Maybe a set of male and female body parts so that the helpless can make their own X-Factor stars of the moment ?

In honour of Sir Joseph Bazalgette and his Great Grandson who is mainly responsible for all this 'reality' crap, I propose a model of a great steaming turd. To Sir J.B. for trying to flush the stuff down into the great sewers he engineered and Peter for sculpting it into great steaming piles of tv programming.

There, I feel better now. Sorry guys!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks