1/72 question

  1. Does anyone make a P-3 AWACS conversion, especially with decals?

  1. Any 1/72 decals for the Thunderbirds C-118? How about for Eisenhower's VC-118? (Columbine?) Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf
  1. Does anyone make a P-3 AWACS conversion, especially with decals?

  1. Any 1/72 decals for the Thunderbirds C-118? How about for Eisenhower's VC-118? (Columbine?)

Kim M

No help on item 1.

The Thunderbirds did not use the C-118 (DC-6). They did however use a C-54 (DC-4) Since there is no decent kit of the DC-4/C-54 (Yeah, I know about the Mach 2 kit!) there are no decals in 1/72nd.

Pres. Eisenhower also did not use the C-118. His first bird was an early Constellation (C-121A) Later Columbine II was a later Constellation. Both Connies were pretty plain with just the Columbine flower on the nose of a rather plain all silver airplane. I am not aware of decals for either bird. Just as a side note, Columbine one still lives. It is at the Pima Museum in Tucson, AZ.

Norm

.
Reply to
Norm Filer

i thought i saw picks of 2 out in a desert surronded by other crates. try to find the site, but crs is active again.

Reply to
uff

Not yet, either as a complete kit or a conversion. That would be a great choice.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

i thought i saw picks of 2 out in a desert surronded by other crates. try to find the site, but crs is active again.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

the one i saw was on private property. before pima?

Reply to
uff

Doesn't the P-3 AWACS use an E-2 radome & pylon? That wouldn't be hard to do..

Reply to
frank may

Well, Columbine II is one of the ones in the USAF Museum AF-1 hangar, at least I'm pretty sure. The C-54 you're thinking of is probably the one used by Roosevelt (had an elevator for his wheel chair) and the C-118 I think was used by Truman. There are examples of each in the USAF Museum, browse their site and you'll probably find them! :)

Heck, here's the link to THEIR links! (Guess I was wrong, it was Col- umbine III):

On the P-3 AWACS, It shouldnt' be too hard to make! Use the roto-dome and sticks from the Fujimi-Heller E-2 kits and just extend the legs of the stand. As far as decals you can always use just plain old numbers/letters and the striping can be found in either art stores/auto suppy stores/or the RC aisle of your favorite hobby shop. Lockheed used a three tone black/grey for a while and ISTR that they were promoting it with a Black/brown/tan three tone line scheme. Got picks of it somewhere but I _KNOW_ that they are in B/W :(

Anyway, the rest of the decals will be straight OOB from the Hasegawa kit so other than the US Customs, USCG, Lockheed emblems everything you want is gonna be out there.

Reply to
Drew Hill

SOMEONE (Academy? Minicraft? whatever) has just done Roosevelt's C-54. I saw a review of it in SAM a couple of months ago. If I can find the mag, I'll let you know the details on it.

RobG

Certified

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

saw a review of it in SAM a couple of months ago. If I can find the mag, I'll let >you know the details on it.

That would be the Minicraft 1/144th kit. Seems odd to me that the tiny scale guys have a decent C-54 when the world's most popular scale is still waiting for a decent one. Please note that I said decent. That excludes Mach 2 for several reasons in my opinion.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer