B-52H

Hi, the other day I watched a docu on TV about the B-52. Very interesting

- and inspiring, too. I remembered the old D-model by Monogram I built back in the 80s (this one still lives somewhere in storage at my fathers house. Long time no see) But now: I got inspired to make an H-model, currently in use by the USAF. Questions: I have been trying to find the AMT kit in various online shops in Germany and Europe. Nothing...only Revell/Monograms "D" Does anyone know if this kit is still around at all? (I found great decals at hannants!)

Then there is (?) a conversion set for this kit made by Airwaves, I think. Same question. and: I guess the AMT kit would need some detailing. Anyone know about a good article dealing with this matter?

Last question: If there I'll ever built it, please tell me where to put this BUFF on display. (joke)

TIA Ingo (Germany)

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

This is definitely not the model I am looking for: (omg!)

ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

Hopefully not! Wonder why they don't call it a B-29?

Reply to
frank

i can help you with the display; hang it from the ceiling.

You have several options. The Monogram kit is available Golden Dragon made/makes a series of B-52 accessories, but I believe they are going out of business. Airwaves makes B-52 sets as well. Almark and Fox One make decals; Fox One does great work with very detailed instructions but unfortunately they too are going out of business. Here's a big maybe. AMTech is to release the AMT kit with major upgrades. When that will be however, is anyone's guess. I would not hold my breath. I would just get the Monogram kit, which is still better than the AMT kit, and convert it to an H.

Check out these links and search for B-52:

Curt

Reply to
Curt

If you can afford it, get both the Monogram and the AMT kits and kit-bash them together. I did so to make a G kit, but you can still do the same thing with the D and H. The wings from the monogram will give you the correct 'wing droop' for being on the ground, as well as having the wing hard points, bombs, and spoilers.

It's quite easy to do, and with the help of a Fine Scale Modeler issue you can add an updated, correct internal weapons bay to the AMT fuselage. I personally like the AMT fuselage, for all of its inaccuracies and misgivings, because it is extremely structurally sound and doesn't bend or crack in the middle like some larger kits do. I also feel that it has a better fit than the old Monogram kit as well as having the plus side of engraved detail and a well detailed cockpit interior.

If you'd like me to, I believe that I still have an MS word copy of the article that I'd written about the conversion that I did. I no longer have my web- page set up with it though... :(

Anyway, email me if you're interested. :)

Hope this helps!

-andy

Reply to
Drew Hill

Hi, I would really like to have your article, but cannot send email because I can't figure out how to modify your given email adress... Thanks Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

Thank you for the links! www.greatmodels is already taking pre-orders for the AMTech upgraded kit.. I will keep an eye on that. Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

I am currently trying to do a monogram D model conversion to an H. My starting point was an assembled model that I made in high school, so the conversion is a little more trouble. When I started the rebuild I was not aware of any conversion kits, so I started by cutting down the vertical stab, and carving new drop tanks and tail section. I later found out that Golden Dragon had a new resin conversion kit out so I bought it. When the parts arrived I was happy to see that my carvings and scratch built tail looked just as good as the kit. (This was my first attempt at any scratch building or detailing) I did use the kit nose to save a lot of time, measuring, carving, grinding, sanding, fitting, starting over, etc. The model is not yet complete, but I can post some pics of the fuse in its current state if anyone would like to see them. I don't live to far from Wright Pat and tend to make the pilgrimage to Mecca two or three times a year, and on the last trip I took lots of pics of the BUFF wheel wells to try and super detail the gear bays on the model. This has proven to be a very large endeavor, as the kit is way off even as a starting point. I can also post those pics if anyone needs them.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes. Zack snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Zack

This sounds quite challenging! I am always interested in pics of models under construction or detail shots of the real thing. If you would like to share both with me I would be very grateful. I still do not know which way to go - I tend to ask greatmodels.com if they expect the AMTech 'H' any time soon...

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. The last word I recall from AMtech on the B-52 kits was that they would have to set the retail prices too high to be commercially viable.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

hmm, there's already a pre-order possible. I will see. As I am not in a hurry with two other projects to be dealt with first.

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

True, but since AMtech doesn't even list them as a future release anymore...

Good. ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

That does not sound good... Although I am not in a hurry ;-), I wonder what would be the best way to make an H-model. Buy the Revell 'D', could not find the AMT kit anywhere. What conversion sets would be necessary for the project? Can anyone put up a decent list? I am getting a bit confused with all that stuff. May be someone knows by heart what is needed to be changed. Work on models starts quite early - even if it's only in your head. And finally, when all the required stuff is piled up on the work bench, Trumpeter announces a late H model. I guess they would be good for it. Who dares to make a "Bear" I think is as well fit to do a BUFF. May be I'll start by ordering these nice decals by Fox one....

Al Superczynski schrieb:

Reply to
Ingo

Convert the Revell kit.

Airwaves S72036.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Is that all? It's available here in Germany via online shop, but no pic and description only says "new nose and EVP pods" .... Engines, Wing tanks, vertical tail, fuselage tail.....? It's quite expensive.. I've asked there about the contents but am not sure if I get an answer.

Reply to
Ingo

Would you rather I emailed the pics to you direct or post them to A.B.M.S. ? The pics of the wheel wells are fairly large due to the detail.

Let me know. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Zack

Sadly, you will need more than that set. The Airwaves set, which is a repop of the old DB conversions set IIRC, only gives basic stuff. Going from memory, since I don't have the time to dig my set out, you get engines, a new nose, EVS blisters, a simple Phase VI ECM rear fuselage extension, and a new tailgun. You have to shorten the tail yourself and you don't get the smaller underwing tanks used by the G/H models (they are the separate set). You don't get any of, or even instructions for, all of the antennas and bumps all over the airframe (to be fair, a lot of the stuff seen on current BUFFS has been added after this old set originally came out). The Airwaves set is just a basic starting point. HTH.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Hi, thanks for the response - but by now I have to think the whole project over. It becomes quite expensive judging from what I hear. So no need so far for pics but thank you very much for the offer. Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

little longer Thanks for the information! ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt