Old spaceship modelling book

Just curious if anyone can remember the details about a book (well, more like a thick magazine really, but it was a one-off) that came out sometime in the late '70s or early '80s and had several articles on various spaceship model projects. I remember one was an Apollo XI (detailing a Revell kit, I believe), one was a Lunar Module kit, and another I remember was a scratch-built "El Dorado" (a spaceship from the old "Buck Rogers" comic strip, apparently). Does anyone remember the book I'm talking about? I have no clue as to author(s), publisher or anything like that (although I'm pretty sure that it was published in the US, not the UK).

Bruce Probst Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

That's it! Thank you very much. The original (the one I had) was published in 1980, but they brought out a second edition in 1996, apparently, with additional models covered.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Probst

I believe Kalmbach put that out. I'm not sure enough of the title to give you anything definitive but it was something like, 'Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy'. No idea of the author.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

isn't the one that also ran the models of the XWing TIE and YWing from Star Wars

Reply to
Daryl

Yeah, still got mine somewhere, not a bad one that

Reply to
Andrew

Being I had nothing else to do, I dug mine out...

Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy (I have the secomd edition) From the publisher of Fine Scale Modeler Kalmbach Publishing Company ISBN 0-89024-563-0

It seems to cover: Apollo Eagle (has landed) Saturn V Ultimate Enterprise Conversion Enterprise to Tug Another Enterprise thing (detailing) Klingon Battle Cruiser Klingon Bird of Prey TNG Enterprise Even more Enterprise stuff (accurizing) Weathering an X-wing Masking and painting the TIE Viper and Raider (Battlestar Galactica) Fiber optic Raider Battle damage Viper Modeling with Junk The ships of Star Wars

I did not see anything on Buck Rogers, even in the index, sorry!

Back to lurking! TTFN

Reply to
Gizmocat

Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy ... And how to model them.

Edited by Harold A Edmonson, Copyright Kalmbach, 1979.

I have a UK edition, published by Model and Allied Publications in association with Scale Models magazine, some time in 1980, with an introduction by Ray Rimmell and an updated review of available models by Mat Irvine.

Each subject is covered by an article and an associated kit build.

No, you can't have it :-)

Contents: Saturn V (Airfix Apollo-Saturn V build and basic improvement) Apollo (Heller 1/100 CM/SM/LEM) The Ships of Star Wars (MPC Darth Vader's TIE fighter and X-wing) Venerable Vehicles of Space:1999 (MPC Eagle 1) Orbiter/747 (Revell USA 1/144 Space Shuttle and 747) Orion III from 2001 (Aurora Space Shuttle Orion) Enterprise (AMT Star Trek Enterprise - detailing, aftermarket addons and a tug conversion) Battlestar Galactica (Monogram Viper and Cylon Raider - battle damage and fibre-optic lighting) Buck Rogers El Dorado (Scratchbuild from a Revell 1/32 MiG-21 and a lot of body putty)

Reply to
Alan Dicey

"Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy (and how to model them)", edited by Harold A. Edmonson, published by Kalmbach Publishing, 1979, ISBN

0-89024-539-8.

"Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy, 2nd Edition", edited by Terry Spohn, published by Kalmbach Publishing, 1996, ISBN 0-89024-563-0.

The second edition dropped the articles on the Space: 1999 Eagle, the NASA space shuttle & 747, the Orion III from 2001, the El Dorado, the glossary of scientific & SF terminology, and one non-modeling article about the Enterprise 1701.

In their place, it added articles about the Mongram 1/48 Lunar Module kit, painting the Klingon Bird of Prey, lighting the Enterprise 1701-D and Klingon Battle Cruiser from ST:TNG, accurizing the old Galileo shuttle and Enterprise 1701-A, and using bits of junk for detailing.

Both editions are out of print, but used copies can be bought through Amazon and eBay, including one UK eBay seller with a 1979 edition. Prices generally range from $8 to $30, though one greedy seller thinks they're worth $190 each.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris