Is old book any good?

Hi, bought some old 'Model Railway News' mags: May 1970: "British Goods Wagons From 1887 To The Present Day" R.J.Essery, D.P.Rowland and W.O.Steel. The review looks excellent. Does anyone know this book? Is it worth chasing to find a copy? Is the same material covered better in more recent books?

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

In its day, Essery's book was 'the bible' for the keen modeller of goods wagons.

Reply to
Bruce

Never seen any poor book with his name on it. Rowland is another good author. Depends what you are interested in. If its LMS then recommend The LMS Wagon by Essery and Morgan, quite a modest size but packed with excellent info. If Midland then Midland Wagons by Essery, volume 1 and 2 - think either one or both has recently been reprinted.

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Keep in mind that 'Present Day' day means late 1960s.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

So it'll be pretty good for private owner wagons for the preceding 50 years or so.

Reply to
Brian Watson

So who nabbed the reasonably price copy on Amazon? Only the silly money copies left now :(

Reply to
Lester Caine

It wasn't me. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Lots of copies on

Use keyword railways, cut'n'paste the title.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Creeping up to silly prices ;) The copy on Amazon was £19 ... but £25 is not too bad, and I can show SHMBO the £120 price on Amazon and say it's an investment :)

Reply to
Lester Caine

That's ok, I haven't progressed beyond the 1960s.

Reply to
Greg Procter

But some of the best music came out in the 70's and 80's.

Reply to
simon

I'd have bought it at the reasonable price but not at the silly money prices! I will put it on my list of books to check every once in a while.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Dunno, when was 'West Of The Wall'?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Dunno, who did it ?

Reply to
simon

Miss Toni Fisher.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Unfortunately not known, now Jethro Tull ....

Reply to
simon

1962
Reply to
Laurie

OK, so I did briefly wander into the 70s, musically.

80s was that stupid pointing at the lights, pointing at your crotch dancing stuff and I had children and a layout to raise. The 60 was the proper music era, although I was in a band in the late 60s and missed the odd year or two.
Reply to
Greg Procter

Always worth phoning Robert Humm

bobharvey