Just Gone DCC

I've just bought myself a Select and I've converted my points to DCC. I've a couple of questions. Having also converted my Flying Scotsman (DCC ready) to DCC, the top speed is now nowhere near as it was on DC. Now don't get me wrong - I don't want unrealistic speeds and it is fine for the Scotsman and the 2 shunters I have. I'm just a bit worried that if I buy a 125 HST that it just won't be fast enough. Why does DC allow me to fly around the track but DCC won't?

Secondly I'm having a bit of trouble programming a double header. After I input the 2nd loco's number it just sits there with the flashing red LED. I know it can take a few seconds to program but it can be left for minutes with no change. During this time the 2 locos will jilt forward a few mm every few seconds. However if I press cancel all the way back whilst the LED is flashing red it seems to finish the programming and then the consist will work as normal.

Lastly after I have finished with the consist I can dissolve it, however the number I had my consist on still appears in my "select" list when I cycle through it even though there is nolonger a program on it. How can I stop this? I have locos on 1 and 3 and the consist was on 9. When I cycle it goes 1,3,9,1,3,9. Why is the 9 still in the loop?

Cheers.

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

Either the voltage is lower on your DCC track or the decoder is set to limit the top speed throuth the Vmax CV or the speed table (or a combination of all of the above).

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Moin,

Craig Coope schrieb:

just a wild guess, I'm no expert... as #3 is the default-adress of every new DCC-decoder, maybe you just cannot make a consist with this adress.

HTH, Martin.

Reply to
Martin Schilling

Wow, you were correct! Thanks!

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

Well, that's crap! The Hronby system, not your findings. There's nothing special about address 3 other than it being the default. They must have expended effort coding that as a special case!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

ok it wasn't that. It's something to do with how big my programming track is or where the locos are compared to the track connection...

I don't know!

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

Well I seem to have narrowed it down. My track isn't fixed as I don't have a spare room of my own! So it's probably not ideal connection-wise. If I use a small section of isolated track (not attached at all) and plug in the select it will work fine. If I try it on the full track which is probably 20-25m in length it doesn't seem to want to finish the programming. Maybe all programming should be done on a small section?

Thanks for your input anyway.

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

Believe power from programming output is at a reduced level to decrease chances of causing damage whilst testing/programming. Plus you are expected to have fewer devices on that track.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I have had the same problem with DH consist setting using both the Select and Elite. My only advice is to persevere. You could try resetting the Select unit and then set up a consist.

Programming proper with Hornby does not apply the 15v AC to the prog track. There is much more choice with the Elite which enables some changes whilst operating but I don't think that the Select can do this.

I have found that bad track connections which spark when crossed can reset the loco decoder to address 3 uninvited. If you have set up a consist which refuses to operate one of the locos then try taking the inoperative one onto the isolated test/prog track and try each of the addresses you have used until it moves (if at all).

There is no reason why you should not program two locos to the same address separately but make sure that they both are set to move in the same direction.

Reply to
Sailor

To answer your question regarding speeds. DC is not very pure so the nominal 12v is actually nearer 18v max because the ripple of ac present contributes to the power supply. The DCC gives an overall lower result. This now shows the differences between motors! I have 5 class 47s ,3 of which fly and 2 which run at a trot! my 3 HST type trains are all quite long in the tooth and don't rush anywhere but it would be interesting to compare them with a new type train. My trains use double power cars built as a pair (2 decoders and comp

Reply to
Sailor

Thanks. My HST is old-skool and it most likely about 30 years old so I'm not expecting much if I do convert it tbh.

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope