SLS Gift memberships (Advert)

Re-send as earlier postings have not appeared. Sorry if any group gets it more than once.

Whether given for a birthday, anniversary, reiteirement or as Christmas present giving an SLS Gift Membership will make their special day last a year. The SLS is the society for the railway enthusiast covering steam, diesel and electric traction worldwide. Extensive library with postal loan service and 10 meeting centres giving almost complete national coverage. The acclaimed SLS Journal is published six times a year. The SLS are also the custodian/opoerator of the historic miniature steam locomotive Orion currently based at :Locomotion Shildon. We are a Soceity covering worldwide intersts although based in the UK, and overseas members are fully welcomed.

For more details of the Gift Membership scheme see

Details about the Orion Supporters Group here

SLS Publicity Officer

Be helpful if SLS was spelled out. Somali Liberation Society?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

genews:KPMIo.157356$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe24.ams...

Try reading the post and applying the grey matter.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Try reading the post and applying the grey matter.

MBQ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Try adjusting yer humor receiver.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Reply to
manatbandq

Your post contained no humour.

MBQ

I agree, plus he cannot be very clever. Its obvious from the website that they are the Stephensons Loco something - that last S has me foxed.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

It stands for Society.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

Never!

Reply to
MartinS

It's very formal

Reply to
simon

Actually the "Stephenson" bit is singular, even though there were several Stephensons involved with the loco! Perhaps for we pedants it should be: "Stephensons' Locomotives' Society. (The society relating to the locomotives of the Stepensons)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Careful pedants would have the close " as well :-)

But I wonder if "Stephensons' Locomotives Society" would be better - but only did latin for 1 year and got grade 6 in 'O' level english.

Reply to
simon

On 01/12/2010 16:03, simon wrote: [...]

That would mean it was founded by/overseen by/etc the Stephensons. But it's a club of Stephenson Locomotive fanciers.

There should be no apostrophe at all.

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

There is that - I actually failed Pedantry for my UE exam - they didn't approve of my use of the term Pedantricality".

No, it definitely requires the second apostrophy as the society is more about the locomotives belonging to the Stephenson stable than about the Stephensons themselves.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I'll call "Pax" here as the news-group is about models.rail. Is there an apostrophy discussion group we could move the discussion to?

Reply to
Greg Procter

Try alt.language.english, but be warned: there are some very nasty trolls among the self-appointed language experts. I've not subscribed to a .language group in three years or more.

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Your post contained no humour.

MBQ

Your receiver is Broken.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Historically, it's an organisation devoted to the study and appreciation of locomotives - not just those built by the Stephensons and their successor companies. The original logo of the society showed the LB&SC Stroudley locomotive "Stephenson", and IIRC one of the things which prompted the founding of the society was the withdrawl of the last Brighton single-driver locomotives ("Stephenson" may actually have been the last..) - so there's a possibility, at least, that the society was originally named for the "Stephenson" locomotive..

Reply to
Andy Breen

Any early members about who can resolve this puzzle for us trivia lovers?

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

The SLS was founded in 1909, so original members are likely to be thin on the ground. I bet there's a society history been published, though.

Reply to
Andy Breen

Youre on your own' - Ive had' my fun :-)

Reply to
simon