Kit motors

Get a few 2nd hand kits - part built old Wills etc with X03/4 motors in. Do
people always/sometines/never replace these with new motors and gears ?
Just am tempted to keep them in locos such as a Wills 4F - doubt if the real
ones were driven that carefully.
Cheers,
Simon
Reply to
simon
The X04 motors were high quality, including (or especially) the worm and pinion gears. Stick in a 5 pole armature and IMHO they run adequately even today. Their gears, while excellent quality, are a poor choice of ratio.
I wouldn't put a 5 pole X04 into a loco I was building, but I wouldn't change one in an existing loco if it ran ok. The 5 pole armature and better gearing do give far better starting and low speed operation. 30:1 is probably best.
Greg.P.
Reply to
Greg Procter
Way back before Portescapes etc I tried Romfords and K's as "improvements" on X04s. The "Terrier" seemed ok but I could never get any more after the first one. The bigger Romfords seemed to me to be made by incompetent blacksmiths and I never found any prototype to suit their motor bogie. The K's would fit into smaller prototypes but I kept a chocolate box of duds - as everything about them was likely to be badly made or would fail I could usually find enough bits to repair about half the ones that came my way. I did like the MW range! Since I found the Sagami and Machima ranges I only bother with the old motors for repairs - those X04s just keep spinning though.
Greg.P.
Reply to
Greg Procter
Well, the southern hemisphere ozone hole no longer stretches from the South Pole to New Zealand every summer, but it's pretty thin. It would be a help if you posted me all your locos so I could run them a couple of hours each day to put more ozone into the atmosphere.
Reply to
Greg Procter

Site Timeline