North London Tank kit

In my stacks of long-forgotten stuff I came across a 00 model of a North London Railway 0-6-0T, which I have passed on to someone with a Cromford and High Peak layout.

I didn't build it, and I'm sure it must date from before about

1996 - would it have been built from a kit, and if so, what make?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Hulme

Was it whitemetal, if so could have been the Gem one -

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Thanks - was that available in the 1980s, do you know?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Hulme

From what I remember their range today is but a fraction of what it once was ... I seem to remember having a couple of catalogues from the 70s - badly photocopied A4 pages folded over to make a very thick booklet with dozens of variations of each design they produced so I really wouldn't be surprised if it dated from a period even earlier than the 80s ... Of course I could be misremembering and talking BS but I do remember that those catalogues (whoever's they were) served as a real inspiration.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Its not in the 1977 W&H catalogue, think have a GEM catalogue around somewhere - will keep searching.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

: > On 26-Dec-2011, Charlie Hulme wrote: : >

: >> Thanks - was that available in the 1980s, do you know? : >

: > From what I remember their range today is but a fraction of what it once : > was : > ... I seem to remember having a couple of catalogues from the

70s - badly : > photocopied A4 pages folded over to make a very thick booklet with dozens : > of : > variations of each design they produced so I really wouldn't be surprised : > if : > it dated from a period even earlier than the 80s ... Of course I could be : > misremembering and talking BS but I do remember that those catalogues : > (whoever's they were) served as a real inspiration. : >

: > -- : >

: > All the best, : >

: > Chris : : Its not in the 1977 W&H catalogue, think have a GEM catalogue around : somewhere - will keep searching. :

Hi Simon (and "Chris).

A -now- extremely foggy memory of the late '70s early '80s kit scene seems to suggest to me that GEM were primarily into the N and TT (or was the latter 009) gauge scene rather than competing with the many bigger boys such as Wills, K's, Millholme and NuCast etc. I can certainly remember skipping the GEM section in my late 70's/early '80s W&H "Bible".

Reply to
Jerry

I think that it's the W+H Bible I'm thinking off - I remember having two one with an orange cover (I think) and one with a green one, I believe I must have been associating GEM with W&H and come up with "3".

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In article , Jerry writes

My 1975 copy of the W&H catalogue has 4 pages of Gem TT and OO9 kits, and 4 pages of Gem OO kits, along with a couple of pages of accessories.

Can't see anything modelled on the North London Railway though.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

In message , David Littlewood writes

My 1967 edition doesn't have anything that might be a North London tank either.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

1977 copy has only 2.25 pages for GEM OO, but does state 5 locos are being re-designed and re-tooled.

However, looking again at the entry in Gem catalogue its a Premier Kit with Branchlines chassis. Does this mean it was an M&L Premier kit ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon