Christmas gift

I received an Employee's Identification Card that was my father's years ago, as a Christmas gift from my brother-in-law. There is no date on the front and I cannot see the back without destroying the mounting that was done. It is from the Nickel Plate Road. My father lived in east central Indiana so I know it came from the branch that ran from New Castle to Ft. Wayne. There is an identification number and location number on the front. I would like to know if anyone knows of a contact to see if I can get more information about when and where my father worked for NPR. After all these years, I never knew my dad worked for a railroad. I could ask some of his siblings, but I also like the 'hunt' for information. My father is deceased and so is my mother.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Hensley

Reply to
Jeff Hensley

The Nickel Plate, officially known as the New York, Chicago & St Louis, is usually abbreviated NKP for the reporting mark on its freight cars.

Try this site to start:

Info on where and when someone worked for he railroad is pretty hard to come by - the NKP is a "fallen flag" and what records didn't go the Railroad Retirement Board are probably long gone. But on the forums listed at the NKPHTS you may find someone who remembers your dad. This site has some info on the Railroad Retirement:

My uncle and grandfather on my Dad's side of the family both worked on the Nickel Plate - and my other grandfather and great uncle on Mom's side of the family worked for the Wabash. And grandma from that side never tired of telling about working in the Peru, Indiana telephone office through the

1913 flood.
Reply to
Steve Caple

Thanks Steve for the lead. I will look into it. I had heard that there might be something in the Cleveland area that would relate to the NKP. Any info in that regard?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Hensley

I don't know, other than I think that was their headquarters. There are some interesting photo colections on hte great grade realignment in Cleveland in the 20's. Google "cleveland nickel plate".

Reply to
Steve Caple