minor tool gloat

I was buying a mower blade today and outside the door of the power equipment shop were some decorative, antique-looking items. There were a couple rusty buck saws, an old duck decoy and a Dake #0 arbor press. What!!??? I checked it out and it looked no worse than a new one would have after about a year in my unheated garage workshop. I went back inside and asked the woman behind the counter "if that old arbor press outside the door was for sale?" Naturally she hadn't a clue as to what an arbor press was....I told her that I was looking for one and she said, "Well, I'll go ask my husband, but I don't think he's interested in getting rid of it." She went into the back, came out a couple seconds later and said "Make an offer". I had no idea what to say, but I offered $40 (yeah I'm cheap). She yelled my price out to her husband and I heard him say, "$50 sounds better". Well, I told her she had a deal. Put it in the trunk of my car and inspected it when I got home. It's in near-perfect shape. The ram travels smoothly and the table-plate rotates without binding at all. I don't even think I'll paint it. Price for a new one is about $350, so I'm a happy RCM right now. Nok

Reply to
NokNokMan

There ya go! I got a Dake ratcheting arbor press at Boeing Surplus back a few years ago, and I use it all the time. Great tool. If you don't have the ratcheting type, there's a trick you can do about milling off just one tooth, forget if it's at the top or the bottom, then you put the ram there and then you can move the handle to where you want it and then engage it.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Sounds great!

As for saying "if that old arbor press outside the door was for sale?"

I usually do not do that.

I would ask "what is that strange heavy iron thing you have". The purpose of the question is not to find out what it is (if I know) but to find out if the seller does. If not, I would offer a lot less. And I would also not say "that's just what I am looking for", I would say "maybe I can find some use for it in my garage".

Otherwise, congratulations! Great deal!

Ignoramus11682

One Saturday morning this spring I picked up a reasonable looking 4" vise for $5.00 and since we were leaving on a trip, I dropped it in a corner without looking too closely. The other day I got it out and cleaned it up a bit. On one side, it says "Made in Canada" while on the other is a "3" and lower "Henry". Underneath is "Craftools". A google search on craftools and Henry got me:

and after reading the wright up, I am damned glad I spent the $5, Second Son is happy with the cheap vise I donated to his shop as well. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

A Dake is virtually indestructible. My father in law had a #1 sitting in his backyard for years. I finally asked him if he was ever going to do anything with it and my mother-in-law immediately shouted "You can have it! Just get it out of my yard!" I took it to the shop, washed it and packed in some more grease and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Yup, that's a good one, congrats.

I snagged a Famco 3R off ebay about a year ago for $78. Two days ago, I called up Famco and ordered the bolster plate, which was missing, $120. The Famco guy told me I could buy a new 3R for $1170. I just picked up the steel for a base. No way I'm paying Famco prices for that.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

The bolster plate would be a perfect place to use a pattern burner, if you had another one to use as a template. I have an Airco Camograph I've been itching to use .. where are you, Pete?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
David Billington

Grant, I'm in Midland, Michigan. However, I put my scanner on the bolster plate and posted the scan to the dropbox.

Look for

Maybe you could use that to make a template. Basic dimensions are in
Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor