Engine Models

I'm interested in building some aviation engine models, recip and turbojet. Do such kits exist? I'm aware of the LeRhrone, but other?

Reply to
Anonymous

Renwal & later Revell released 1/4 P & W Wasp & an Allison T-56 turboprop. Not sure of its scale. Monogram had a 1/10 or so Wright Cyclone. Williams Bros. has a number of various scale radials. I think maybe some of the smaller scale engines that come in a/c kits could stand as models themselves.

Reply to
frank

The best offerings were from Williams Brothers. I have heard that someone bought out the company when the founders retired, and that they were back in business, but I have seen nothing in the hobby shops as far as new kits. There are quite a few around of old stock on dealers shelves, but they are getting scarcer.

They made the P&W Wasp Junior, and a Wright Cyclone, both EXCELLENT offerings (as was the LeRhone).

I do wish some of the major companies would undertake some more engines, especially the Merlin and Allison V-1710. 1:8 or 1:12 would be fine for those.

There are a number of large scale car and truck engines out there, but for as popular as airplane kits are, I don't understand why more engines are not offered. I know I would sure buy them.

The only ones I know of were the old Allison turboprop and a "visible" radial (Renwal?)

BTW, if this is a repetitive post, I am sorry. My internet connection keeps telling me the message could not be sent. Eventually, after resending, I find all attempts HAVE been posted.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I remember a chrome plated Allison in 1/25 from AMT many years ago.

Reply to
eyeball

I'd forgotten about that one! 1:25 scale and designed to fit into scratchbuilt dragsters. Boy, ~those~ were the days...

Reply to
The Old Man

Both of the Williams brothers passed away in the last few years. The company does, however, continue , with a couple of new kits planned for this year and a couple of re-releases. The first is the C-46, currently being advertised in the modeling press.

News that the Martin B-10 shall be re-released with a nasty mon-key figure has yet to be confirmed.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Also released with a modified '69 Thunderbird body and funny car chassis as "Allison Thunderland". I had one for years but never quite finished it.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I have a webpage on 'visible' engines, including a few aircraft engines:

Rob My models:
Me 163B site:
AQM-34 site:

Rob de Bie

Model Art by Marco, (no kidding), released a number of large scale,

1/8 resin WW 1 resin engine kits. WRF

"Nooooooo! Stop me before I build again."

Reply to
rfranklin

That was rereleased a couple of years ago in a 'dragstip parts' kit. Had things like a 'Christmas tree', but also the allison. Much ebayed still.