ARC fault breakers

I know they are now code for most rooms in a house. Is it a good idea to replace the "regular" circuit breakers in my home with arc faults? Is it ok to install
an arc fault on a GFCI circuit? I am thinking it might prevent a fire someday in the future?
Do these things cause nusicence tripping when using a vacuum cleaner or other sparking device?

I'd stay away from them for the time being because the technology was rushed out and is not perfected. In new homes that are specifically wired for arc-fault breakers they are ideal. But in older homes, light switches were commonly wired on the outlet circuits. A switch can internally arc when turning it off while under a load. This arc is enough to keep causing nuisance tripping. Also, if you're the type to unplug something while it's still on, the arc at the plug can also trip the breaker.
An arc-fault breaker can be used to power a GFI outlet. Keep in mind that if you have a 3-wire circuit (2 hots, 1 neutral) such as with 12-3 or 14-3 homeruns to the panel, then you need a special arc-fault breaker that is identified for common neutral use.
On Monday, April 8, 2013 1:15:17 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

replace the "regular" circuit breakers in my home with arc faults? Is it ok to install an arc fault on a GFCI circuit? I am thinking it might prevent a fire someday in the future?

My house was wired in 1998.

That's pre arc-fault so expect to have issues when using them.
On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 11:15:17 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

replace the "regular" circuit breakers in my home with arc faults? Is it ok to install an arc fault on a GFCI circuit? I am thinking it might prevent a fire someday in the future?

AFCIs are getting better I would buy a couple and see how it goes. My guess that if you don't have any multiwire (common neutral) circuits you will be OK on most of them. If you do get tripping, try it on another circuit and investigate when you get the bad ones isolated. One thing to think of is a grounded neutral past the AFCI will trip it. One of the biggest causes of nuisance tripping is a ceiling box with that big kludge of white wires jammed in a wire nut. If you get a short to ground a regular breaker will not care but a GFCI or AFCI will trip. If you have a fan in there, it might not actually short until the fan is running, vibrating the box and you assume you have a bad fan. If you are careful replacing it and eliminate the short, you are sure the fan caused it ;-)
That is one of the few places I would tape up a wirenut.
On Monday, April 8, 2013 1:15:17 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

replace the "regular" circuit breakers in my home with arc faults? Is it ok to install an arc fault on a GFCI circuit? I am thinking it might prevent a fire someday in the future?

Is it bad to tape a wire nut? I actually always do this, even in switches. I wrap the wire nut in electrical tape. I guess I am anal. Are there any situations where taping a wire nut is bad?

Bad no, but it sure pisses off the next electrician that has to access the spice. There's nothing worse than getting that sticky gummy tape adhesive all over your fingers, then your tools, then the switch, then the wall, etc. If a splice is made proper to begin with, the wirenut should do the job of holding the splice together and keeping it insulated.
On 04/08/2013 06:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What bullshit. I once had an electrician tell me to replace my Federal Pacific breaker because doing so might prevent a fire someday. I told him he can go fuck himself and to this day I still haven't an electrical fire.