ARC fault breakers

I know they are now code for most rooms in a house. Is it a good idea to replace the "regular" circuit breakers in my home with arc faults? Is it ok to install an arc fault on a GFCI circuit? I am thinking it might prevent a fire someday in the future?

Do these things cause nusicence tripping when using a vacuum cleaner or other sparking device?

Reply to
stryped1

I'd stay away from them for the time being because the technology was rushed out and is not perfected. In new homes that are specifically wired for arc-fault breakers they are ideal. But in older homes, light switches were commonly wired on the outlet circuits. A switch can internally arc when turning it off while under a load. This arc is enough to keep causing nuisance tripping. Also, if you're the type to unplug something while it's still on, the arc at the plug can also trip the breaker.

An arc-fault breaker can be used to power a GFI outlet. Keep in mind that if you have a 3-wire circuit (2 hots, 1 neutral) such as with 12-3 or 14-3 homeruns to the panel, then you need a special arc-fault breaker that is identified for common neutral use.

Reply to
Rich.

replace the "regular" circuit breakers in my home with arc faults? Is it ok to install an arc fault on a GFCI circuit? I am thinking it might prevent a fire someday in the future?

sparking device?

My house was wired in 1998.

Reply to
stryped1

That's pre arc-fault so expect to have issues when using them.

Reply to
Rich.

replace the "regular" circuit breakers in my home with arc faults? Is it ok to install an arc fault on a GFCI circuit? I am thinking it might prevent a fire someday in the future?

sparking device?

AFCIs are getting better I would buy a couple and see how it goes. My guess that if you don't have any multiwire (common neutral) circuits you will be OK on most of them. If you do get tripping, try it on another circuit and investigate when you get the bad ones isolated. One thing to think of is a grounded neutral past the AFCI will trip it. One of the biggest causes of nuisance tripping is a ceiling box with that big kludge of white wires jammed in a wire nut. If you get a short to ground a regular breaker will not care but a GFCI or AFCI will trip. If you have a fan in there, it might not actually short until the fan is running, vibrating the box and you assume you have a bad fan. If you are careful replacing it and eliminate the short, you are sure the fan caused it ;-)

That is one of the few places I would tape up a wirenut.

Reply to
gfretwell

replace the "regular" circuit breakers in my home with arc faults? Is it ok to install an arc fault on a GFCI circuit? I am thinking it might prevent a fire someday in the future?

sparking device?

Is it bad to tape a wire nut? I actually always do this, even in switches. I wrap the wire nut in electrical tape. I guess I am anal. Are there any situations where taping a wire nut is bad?

Reply to
stryped1

Bad no, but it sure pisses off the next electrician that has to access the spice. There's nothing worse than getting that sticky gummy tape adhesive all over your fingers, then your tools, then the switch, then the wall, etc. If a splice is made proper to begin with, the wirenut should do the job of holding the splice together and keeping it insulated.

Reply to
Rich.

What bullshit. I once had an electrician tell me to replace my Federal Pacific breaker because doing so might prevent a fire someday. I told him he can go f*ck himself and to this day I still haven't an electrical fire.

Reply to
Phoena