Wall oven junction box

I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24 inch). The old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4 runners. My old oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal stud s would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My current box is lo cated on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the openi ng and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

My current juntion box is not 23 7/8 above the runners.

My question is this: 1. Why is this a requirement? Does it have to do with heat from the oven or something else?

  1. Does this box really need to be moved, and if so what is the best way to do it?

What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of acceptable loc ations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one p icture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box " above" the runners.

As always I appreciate the help.

p.s. concernign my previous electrical switch question, I decided to put th e switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by te eing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Reply to
stryped1

e old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

ld oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal st uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the ope ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

h heat from the oven or something else?

ocations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Here is a link to the manual for my oven. Page 2 figure 1. (It is a single oven)

stryped1

oven has been there for at least 12 years.

oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

If the fire gets out of the oven, the fact that you have steel instead of wood runners isn't going to help. I'd be more afraid of steel runners scratching the bottom of the oven (corrosion issue).

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

Perhaps this distance is to clear the top of the oven, assuming you don't have enough space behind it? I'd check this (the new oven might be deeper) but if you do, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

from the oven or something else?

Interference, is my bet.

Carefully? Really, it depends on how it's mounted and where the wires are now. I'd try not to disturb anything, though.

locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

Either location will avoid interference between the oven and the box, once the oven is slid into place.

switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Reply to
krw

The junction box locations specified are chosen so that the oven does not block access to them. One is in the cabinet above the oven space and the other in the cabinet below the oven space. With either location the splice can be accessed without having to remove the oven.

Metal studs are not as strong as the 2x4s will be, and although wood is combustible, it does not burst into flames until 451 degrees fahrenheit. It is highly unlikely that they will ever see that kind of temperature. The metal studs are more likely to spread any heat further out from the oven than wood will.

Reply to
Rich.

e old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

ld oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal st uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the ope ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

h heat from the oven or something else?

ocations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

I guess what I was saying is the lower location is not 23 inches away from the runners.

So basically if the oven fits, it does not matter where the junction box is ?

Reply to
stryped1

e old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

ld oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal st uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the ope ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

h heat from the oven or something else?

ocations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Interesting. WHy is it necessary? The oven is not "permanent" meaning it ca n be removed to acess the wiring.

Reply to
stryped1

Electrical code requires that junction boxes be readily accessible.

Reply to
Rich.

[...]

I have learned alot after positing my wall oven question. Ultimately, my cu rrent junction box is mounted on top of the drywall directly behind my wall oven. The junction box is 1/2 inch to tall. (My oven likes about 1/2 inch to be able to go into the opening all the way back.

My options are to see if I can install the box where it is recessed into th e wall or move the outlet, still within the same oven opening but higher.

This brought up someone mentioning an NEC code that says the junction box h as to be "accessible". I am a little confused with this. My house was built in the mid 90's. My current junction box is not "accessible" without remov ing the oven. None of the options I mentioned are "accessible" either. I co uld move the box into the upper cabinet which I guess then would be "access ible" but not without great difficulty trying to fish the think wire throug h the drywall wall.

Anyhow, is it acceptable to mount the junction box for the oven even with t he wall like a regular outlet? Or is it better to move it? I want to do thi s the right way where there is no risk of fire but to be honest, the "acces sible" junction box for a wall oven seems kind of silly.

Reply to
stryped1

e old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

ld oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal st uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the ope ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

h heat from the oven or something else?

ocations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Ok. I think I understand now. "Accessible" can mean it is ok if you have to pull the oven out.

Last question. Do I move the box to the 23 7/8 requirement above the runner s, or just install a recessed box where it is? (Less than the requirement).

Reply to
stryped1

What is "it"?

Circuit breakers must, usually, be "readily accessible".

NEC definition "Accessible (as applied to wiring methods [j-boxes]). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure of finish or not permanently closed in by the structure of finish of the building."

It is common to have a j-box behind the oven where the oven is removed (while attached by the supply cable) to access the j-box. It is in the installation instructions provided.

This is another post by the OP that was also posted to alt.home.repair, where it has received many answers. Including that a j-box behind the oven is "accessible" (defined above).

Reply to
bud--

Anything attached is considered building structure or finish. A freestanding range is not attached and therefore the plug is considered accessible when behind it. A wall oven is attached (usually by screws) so the junction box is not considered accessible. Ask any competent electrical inspector and what they'll tell you is if it's screwed, glued, or nailed down, it's a part of the structure.

Reply to
Rich.

e old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

ld oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal st uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the ope ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

h heat from the oven or something else?

ocations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Which is what my origional question was. So I am getting conflicting advice on what is accessible and what is not.

Has this always been this way or if not when did it change? Like I said my house was built in the 90's and my junction box is mounted directly behind the oven. (Apparently it passed inspection back then....)

Reply to
stryped1

(The ranges were usually unplugged by removing a drawer at the bottom and reaching through to the plug behind the range.)

If a 'cover' is attached with screws the j-box is not "permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building".

Ask any competent electrician and they will tell you wall ovens are usually connected to a j-box behind the oven, and you connect with the oven out then slide the oven in. It is one of 2 methods for connecting the oven in the instructions the OP provided. Find installation instructions for a wall oven that do not have that as a connection method.

Reply to
bud--

e old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

ld oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal st uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the ope ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

h heat from the oven or something else?

ocations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Can you tall me if a j box can be placed behind a sliding pot and pan drawe r?

Reply to
stryped1

Yes it can since it is accessible by sliding the drawer out.

Reply to
Rich.