wire receptacle from wall switch (CANADA)

I have a closet w just a ceiling light and wall switch. I want to install a duplex receptacle in the closet. Is the wall switch a source of 120 VAC that I can use to wire my receptacle? If possible, is it permitted by code?

Reply to
bill murn

Depends where the hot wire enters to feed both light and switch. If unswitched hot wire is in switch box, then an unswitched receptacle will work there. However, if the hot wire enters the ceiling light, then the switch box will have no 'hot and neutral' wire to power the receptacle.

Should this c> I have a closet w just a ceiling light and wall switch. I want to

Reply to
w_tom

Reply to
Phil Munro

Reply to
w_tom

Hi All!

Used to be that receptacle outlets were not permitted in closets by the CEC, just lights and switches.

Anyone know if this has changed??

Fred

Reply to
Fred

IF it was wired right. House built in 1989 has at least two neutral side switches in it.

Reply to
Jimmie

Ref: I have a closet w just a ceiling light and wall switch. I want to install a duplex receptacle in the closet. Is the wall switch a source of 120 VAC that I can use to wire my receptacle? If possible, is it permitted by code?

Reply: Usually if you open a lighting fixture you'll find a Neutral(white) and a Hot(Black or Red) conductor, you can box an outlet and run a wire tap into the fixture box for an outlet nearby... I don't care where this is, Why do you want a receptacle inside a closet??? too many people living at home you & need a closet receptacle to shave ? }:-)

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Thanks to those who responded.

I've given up on attaching a duplex to the the switch. There are too many studs

and firestops between the switch and the location for the duplex. I'm in a

25

year old building in which there is no separate grounding wire in the electrical

wiring. Does this mean that the neutral serves as the ground? Also, it would be

an easy run to wire a duplex from the main panel to the location almost directly

below it, except that this old panel does not have a main circuit cut-off breaker.

How would a professional electrician work on this wiring if he could not turn off

the power? How would I wire the duplex to the panel when it is live? I assume I would pull the wire up from the duplex into the panel--having pre-stripped it--then connect to the duplex, then

connect to a new circuit breaker, then carefully push the CB into place. Is this how an

electrician would do it?

Ref: I have a closet w just a ceiling light and wall switch. I want to install a duplex receptacle in the closet. Is the wall switch a source of 120 VAC that I can use to wire my receptacle? If possible, is it permitted by code?

Reply: Usually if you open a lighting fixture you'll find a Neutral(white) and a Hot(Black or Red) conductor, you can box an outlet and run a wire tap into the fixture box for an outlet nearby... I don't care where this is, Why do you want a receptacle inside a closet??? too many people living at home you & need a closet receptacle to shave ? }:-)

®oy
Reply to
bill murn

An electrician knows the inside of the panel. He/she will put the breaker in before attaching the wire. That is the correct way. Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The neutral is the other lead of your Line circuit to the light., for ground, other than running green wires to location in a 25 yo bldg, the pipe or metalclad cable provides ground so you can attace the green wire from a lamp or to the receptacle to the metal box.

Yeap, that's how it's done., if you are affraid you might contact the Hot Buss or cause a short, experienced electricians cut out a cardboard cover and tuck it around the wires & circuit breakers covering the busses completely as best you can, but leaving access to the knockout you plan to bring your cable in to the panel, then proceed with terminating your installation into the panel & to it's respective breaker.

What are you using BX or Romex? you must be sure of whtat you are doing & what you are going to use., if not get an experienced electrician to do it with you on his time off or hire one.

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.