Help with wall oven junction box

I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24 inch). The old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4 runners. My old oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal stud s would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My current box is lo cated on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the openi ng and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

My current juntion box is not 23 7/8 above the runners.

My question is this: 1. Why is this a requirement? Does it have to do with heat from the oven or something else?

  1. Does this box really need to be moved, and if so what is the best way to do it?

What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of acceptable loc ations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one p icture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box " above" the runners.

As always I appreciate the help.

p.s. concernign my previous electrical switch question, I decided to put th e switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by te eing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Reply to
stryped

e old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

le oven)

[...]

The folks you bought the new appliance from really should be doing the installing (for insurance purposes, mainly). And especially if custom work ends up being needed.

the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

You really should ask the fire marshall to come visit you and show him this very email. (that way you'll know if this DIY of your's is koser or not)

Reply to
Transition Zone

stryped wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No. If heat was an issue, the manufacturer wouldn't tell you to use 2x4s. You want something that will hold up the weight without being crushed. Just follow the directions.

Beats me -- I can't see your oven, or the directions, from here. Why not call the manufacturer and ask them?

Obviously there is no *requirement* to move it, since the directions you quoted refer to the "suggested location". If the power cord is long enough to reach the box, and the oven will fit in the cavity, without moving the box, then leave it where it is.

Again, note the word "suggested" in the directions.

Good.

Reply to
Doug Miller

e old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

ld oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal st uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the ope ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

h heat from the oven or something else?

ocations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

It does say on the picture the locations are "suggested", however in writin g it says, "NOTE: Locate an approved junction box in the suggested location a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners."

Reply to
stryped

[...]

Generally the location spec is where there is a recess in the back of the oven for the box so the oven can then sit flush to the wall or back of cabinet.

If you can slide the oven in place & it does not hit the box & stick out you should be ok.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

e old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

ld oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal st uds would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the ope ning and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junctio n box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

h heat from the oven or something else?

ocations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below th e runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Thanks. One last thing, should these 2x4 runners be nailed down and attache d to the oven? Or can the oven just sit on them and the 2x4's just sit on t he plywood?

Reply to
stryped