Basic Code Questions:

Had a couple of code questions that popped in my head:
1.    When 1 and inch of edge is required to be left after boring a
hole in studs to run wire, is this both edges of the board or just the front face where a wall can be installed?
2.    It says that wire must be stapled every 4 feet. I assume this is just when a wire is ran vertically up the side of a stud, and does not count wire running through the hole in the studs horizontally, correct?
3.    On a deatached garage such as this project, do I have to have an outside outlet to be code compliant?
4.    I plan on have a 220 volt welder plug located in my detatched garage. There is nothing that says I cant have this plug next to a regular 110 outlet is there?
5.    Is there anything in code that says where the sub panel has to be located? Mine is not near the access (man)_ door. It is by the overhead garage door. Is this acceptable?
6.    When running the wire for the 220 volt welder, I am gueeing I cant run it between the studs as I did with the 12-2 wire and must go up into the attic and over to the correct bay. I will still have to drill through the top plate. Is this ok? (I assume it is not a good idea to run the wire horizontally to go through the studs due to the hole that is required.)

Based on the NEC you may have some other local interpretation

From the edge of the framing.

Correct, drilled holes are support.

No, the required outside outlets are just for the dwelling but not a bad idea

Nope, perfectly OK

It can be anywhere but in a bathroom You just need to have proper working clearance, 30" of clear space (wide) in front of the panel, out to 36" away from the panel. The panel does not need to be centered on this 30" space.

If you can't maintain the 1.125" space, you can nail 1/16" plates over the cable to prevent nail strikes. You would also need this space or the plate in a top framing member.
On Aug 18, 2:51pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

On the 1 1/4 inch requirement you said the edge. I assume this is the front edge and not the back, right?
Also, If I did not want to install interior walls right away it is ok to leave the wiring exposed between the studs if it is properly anchored isnt it?
stryped wrote:

As you probably have figured out the 1 1/4" spacing is to keep drywall screws (and similar) from hitting the electrical. The spacing is front and back if both sides are accessible. I don't believe the code makes an exception, but the spacing should not be an issue on one side if the stud is against something like a cement block wall.

Sounds reasonable.