basic defnitions

can anyone precisely define the following 1 Reactive Power 2 inductance 3 capacitance 4 power factor 5 leading and lagging power factor
please do not quote any definitions from text book..i want some different answers..
ram27 wrote:

You want www.domyhomeworkcozimafuckwit.com
Tim
--
My hearts numbered beat | Greetings from Birmingham, UK
Still echoes in this empty room |All about me: www.nervouscyclist.org

Then that's the right site for you.....
ram27 used his keyboard to write :

If you can't understand this stuff you are going to be screwed when you start doing phasor addition.
ram27 used his keyboard to write :

If you can't understand this stuff you are going to be screwed when you start doing phasor addition.
not to mention i or is it j

i know all these stuffs man..what i need is some thing part from the text book..thats i need it
ram27 pretended :

Get off the net and start to study then...
Try to think for yourself.
Hello All

I have followed this thread for a bit, and I think you may be being a bit hard on ram27. He may be a student trying to find an easy way of doing homework, or he may simply be trying to stir us up, but the questions that he is asking are not easy to answer unless one only considers a pure single frequency.
As recently as 1999 there were a series of 3 long papers by F Ghassemi discuss what the definition of power factor should be under modern conditions where waveforms are distorted.
What ram27 needs to tell us is the background to his question, whether he is following a couurse of study, or whether he is simply trying to educate himself, and looking for a different approach that will give him a feel of what capacitance for example is.
John
--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
John Rye wrote :

I am assuming your post was ment for me. I wasn't attempting to "be Hard" on him/her. I know how difficult this subject can be for a student, it was difficult for me also. If ram27 were to post a question like "I don't understand the relationship of true power to relative power" then I would most certainly try to help. Spoon feed answers to homework questions I will not do. :)
Arlowe formulated on Friday :

Please susitute relative power for reactive power....the greymatter is still snoozing :)

sir i do not ask these questions for doing my homeworks but to enrich my knowledge in this sphere

yes sir..you are right..i am pursuing my bachelors degree here in India..i need myself to get strong enough the basics so that everything would become easy..and more over i need concept behind it in short why does this happen,.....all sort of WH questions...i have a number of books giving those definitions but not the concepts
----------------------------

--------------- No kidding- then take the text material and think about it and put it in your own words. Oops, considering the English usage above, that could be a problem.

remove the X to answer

Don, I have invariably agreed with your understanding of the concepts of Electrical Engineering and indeed have learned a great deal from your contributions to this group over the years. However, as a former 'Teacher of English as a Foreign Language' I think you are being a bit hard on good old Ram...his English ain't so bad, even if it is a little quaint....nevertheless after visiting India 18 months ago and returning with about 12 absolutely excellent texts on Electrical Engineering which are difficult to obtain outside India (and very inexpensive for the western pocket also) AND given the fact the subcontinent seems to produce a disproportionately high number of power engineers, some excellent, some good, some average and some not so good (same as everywhere else), I do find it hard to believe that Ram cannot find his answers at a more local level. Any good basic elec eng text book should explain these terms...go to a local tech college or university library ...the trick is to flick through some books and see which seems to make sense for you...maybe with diagrams and/or pretty pictures that will give you a feel for the subject...once you get a grip on these concepts the explanations in the other textbooks usually become clearer also...and give one a still deeper multi- leveled understanding as a result. Good luck.
Danny explained on 8/25/2008 :

I find it a bit disturbing that an electrical enineering student can not define inductance, capacitance or reactive power.
this is AC theory 101....
----------------------------

[...]
----------- I have known many students from India as well as academic colleages from there. Based on my experience with these- the " i know all these stuffs man..what i need is some thing part from the text book..thats i need it" simply doesn't fit in with the dialect of English that is common to Indian students (which is superior to the sample quoted above which appears to be closer to North American rap than to anything out of India). Nor does it fit in with what they actually know. Some do have a problem with the interface between theory and practice but, on the whole, most do well.
We agree with regard to that and with respect to available references.
The point is that if he, regardless of his origin, which I don't know, "know all these stuffs" he wouldn't need to ask for some "thing part from the text book"
My problem is not so much the language but the apparent actual lack of understanding that led to his message. The language issue comes in when one who "knows..." cannot express his problem in a way that allows one to give a useful answer.
The primary advice that I suggested is "think" Then ask "why?" "Why" is a wonderfully legitimate (and often embarrassing for the questionee) question which was not asked.

remove the X to answer

I suspect we're seeing different levels of meaning of the verb "to know". In different contexts, when someone says "I know X", they might mean:
1. I can recite the definitions in the textbook, but I don't really understand how they apply to problems.
2. I understand the definitions, and how to apply them to problems.
3. I understand this stuff well enough to use it, and to explain it to someone else via several different approaches to the material.
Some might argue that you don't *really* know a subject until you can say #3 above, but #2 is really all that's necessary for the student in a course. However, I think the original poster is suggesting that they know only #1, and want sufficient additional explanation to enable them to get to stage #2.
    Dave
writes:

-------------------- Fair enough. You may very well be right on target. If the person is at step 1. then he/she does need help. It might be useful it he/she then asked questions regarding each factor- I suggest starting with 2 and 3 inductance and capacitance (I find Bob G's "frequency dependent resistor" approach to be fraught with problems leading to erroneous ideas ), and some information as to what he knows and what he has problems with. What I would like to see from Ram is something that can give a hint as to what is his problem- so far there is nothing so I can only guess that it may be a problem with the concept of phasors.

remove the X to answer