basic defnitions

can anyone precisely define the following 1 Reactive Power 2 inductance 3 capacitance 4 power factor 5 leading and lagging power factor please do not quote any definitions from text book..i want some different answers..

Reply to
ram27

You want

Tim

Reply to
Tim Dunne

ram27 used his keyboard to write :

If you can't understand this stuff you are going to be screwed when you start doing phasor addition.

Reply to
Arlowe

ram27 used his keyboard to write :

If you can't understand this stuff you are going to be screwed when you start doing phasor addition.

Reply to
Arlowe

the site didn't open

Reply to
ram27

on 8/13/2008, ram27 supposed :

Then that's the right site for you.....

Reply to
Arlowe

not to mention i or is it j

Reply to
BIGEYE

i know all these stuffs man..what i need is some thing part from the text book..thats i need it

Reply to
ram27

ram27 pretended :

Get off the net and start to study then...

Try to think for yourself.

Reply to
Arlowe

Elec Eng 101 starts at a College near you soon. But then first you need to fullfill the entry level requirements. (? Requirements ? Big word?)

John G.

Reply to
John G

I have followed this thread for a bit, and I think you may be being a bit hard on ram27. He may be a student trying to find an easy way of doing homework, or he may simply be trying to stir us up, but the questions that he is asking are not easy to answer unless one only considers a pure single frequency.

As recently as 1999 there were a series of 3 long papers by F Ghassemi discuss what the definition of power factor should be under modern conditions where waveforms are distorted.

What ram27 needs to tell us is the background to his question, whether he is following a couurse of study, or whether he is simply trying to educate himself, and looking for a different approach that will give him a feel of what capacitance for example is.

John

Reply to
John Rye

I am assuming your post was ment for me. I wasn't attempting to "be Hard" on him/her. I know how difficult this subject can be for a student, it was difficult for me also. If ram27 were to post a question like "I don't understand the relationship of true power to relative power" then I would most certainly try to help. Spoon feed answers to homework questions I will not do. :)

Reply to
Arlowe

Please susitute relative power for reactive power....the greymatter is still snoozing :)

Reply to
Arlowe

The 'definitions' are exactly what you read in the text book. To ask for a different 'definition' is like asking to change the Oxford dictionary.

If what you meant is you don't understand the definitions given in the text books and would like some help understanding them, that's a slightly different question.

To understand these terms you need to start with 'inductance' and 'capacitance'. And to understand those, you should start with basic electrostatics and electro-magnetics. The other terms are off-shoots from these two basic physical phenomena.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

yes sir..you are right..i am pursuing my bachelors degree here in India..i need myself to get strong enough the basics so that everything would become easy..and more over i need concept behind it in short why does this happen,.....all sort of WH questions...i have a number of books giving those definitions but not the concepts

Reply to
ram27

sir i do not ask these questions for doing my homeworks but to enrich my knowledge in this sphere

Reply to
ram27

--------------- No kidding- then take the text material and think about it and put it in your own words. Oops, considering the English usage above, that could be a problem.

Reply to
Don Kelly

ge

Don, I have invariably agreed with your understanding of the concepts of Electrical Engineering and indeed have learned a great deal from your contributions to this group over the years. However, as a former 'Teacher of English as a Foreign Language' I think you are being a bit hard on good old Ram...his English ain't so bad, even if it is a little quaint....nevertheless after visiting India 18 months ago and returning with about 12 absolutely excellent texts on Electrical Engineering which are difficult to obtain outside India (and very inexpensive for the western pocket also) AND given the fact the subcontinent seems to produce a disproportionately high number of power engineers, some excellent, some good, some average and some not so good (same as everywhere else), I do find it hard to believe that Ram cannot find his answers at a more local level. Any good basic elec eng text book should explain these terms...go to a local tech college or university library ...the trick is to flick through some books and see which seems to make sense for you...maybe with diagrams and/or pretty pictures that will give you a feel for the subject...once you get a grip on these concepts the explanations in the other textbooks usually become clearer also...and give one a still deeper multi- leveled understanding as a result. Good luck.

Reply to
Danny

I find it a bit disturbing that an electrical enineering student can not define inductance, capacitance or reactive power.

this is AC theory 101....

Reply to
Arlowe

[...]

----------- I have known many students from India as well as academic colleages from there. Based on my experience with these- the " i know all these stuffs man..what i need is some thing part from the text book..thats i need it" simply doesn't fit in with the dialect of English that is common to Indian students (which is superior to the sample quoted above which appears to be closer to North American rap than to anything out of India). Nor does it fit in with what they actually know. Some do have a problem with the interface between theory and practice but, on the whole, most do well.

We agree with regard to that and with respect to available references.

The point is that if he, regardless of his origin, which I don't know, "know all these stuffs" he wouldn't need to ask for some "thing part from the text book"

My problem is not so much the language but the apparent actual lack of understanding that led to his message. The language issue comes in when one who "knows..." cannot express his problem in a way that allows one to give a useful answer.

The primary advice that I suggested is "think" Then ask "why?" "Why" is a wonderfully legitimate (and often embarrassing for the questionee) question which was not asked.

Reply to
Don Kelly