Big soldering irons don't run hotter?

This is the Weller page for the UK

but which iron in the drop down box is the best value?

Reply to
Zak

Why are you looking in the spare parts index? IMHO, the "best" one is the old standard

has been around forever, and is available used for very little money.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:01:28 -0800, Smitty Two Gave us:

Edsyn rules! The tips are hard inside, and well plated outside. The temp controller is fast response, and always accurate (as long as nobody screws with the calibration pots), and they max out at

800degrees. They shouldn't be used at that temp for PCB assembly, but there are times when a good high starting temp and a fat tip choice comes in handy. That is another good thing about these. The tip can be changed quickly, and the array of tips available is wide. The operator can keep several tips in the small front tray provided If one doesn't like the sponges provided (or their price) one can buy just about any sponge and cut it to size before applying the water for the first time. The only thing I have ever seen go bad on them is the tip retaining sheath. And those ONLY go bad on the user stations where the idiot assembler keeps their station cranked up to the max all day. If kept at the proper operating temp, they last practically forever.

The tips are so hard that instead of deteriorating, they form a crust. Kester makes an "ammonium" block tip cleaning media that is about a 2.5" x 2.5" block of ammonium. A hot tip, and a couple drops of solder allow the tip to be restored to near new condition. The block even has a certain friction that scrapes right through the crust, and re-tins the tip perfectly. They work way better then the small, lead filled acid cup style tip cleaners, and smoke far less. I have one that has lasted for years and I am still on the first quarter inch of media on only a few sides of the block. Edsyn IS the shit! and they can even be found cheaper than retail at times. There are several types available, but the dial controlled version is the best, with the dial controlled version that even has two AC power outlets on the front of the unit is fabulous.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Here is a link to the Mfr's site and they have a new model, 936 I keyed in my model incorrectly also, it is a 935, though it seems that the two are almost identical. I've had my old unit for going on 8 yrs now. When I bought mine it was $86.00 US. Looking around I found a couple of points of contact for you in the UK who may be able to point you to a retailer.

GROSVENOR

PRIORY TEC PARK, SAXON WAY, HESSLE, EAST YORKSHIRE, HU13

9PB, UNITED KINGDOM TEL: +44-1482-627327 FAX: +44-1482-627328 E-mail: sales_AT_grosvenor-group.com

(remove _AT_ and you have the correct email)

DANCAP ELECTRONICS.

24 TRENT CRESCENT, THATCHAM, NEWBURY, BERKSHIRE, RG18 3DN. UNITED KINGDOM. TEL: +44-1635-866394 FAX: +44-1635-869589

Hope this helps.

Reply to
ampdoc

Who sells these. I am looking for a UK vendor who actually lists prices!

Reply to
David Peters

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:19:42 +0100, David Peters Gave us:

Digi-key

Mouser

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

well heres mine with a few extras i have that isn't in the picture

Jamie