Big soldering irons don't run hotter?

The wattage rating would be more of the heating capacity. The larger the wattage, the greater the mass that it can heat. Use a lower wattage for the
smaller jobs. Use a higher wattage for the larger type soldering jobs.
--

JANA
_____

"Zak" < snipped-for-privacy@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
I think the OP was closer. The wattage rating is the ability to recover once the heat has dropped. The heat capacity is a function of the mass of the tip.
When soldering PL-259 connectors, or homw-made brass boxes, I use a roofer's iron. The tip is a slug of copper about one inch in diameter and over 3 inches long. It takes about 30 minutes to come up to temperature, but anything you touch it to is instantly at soldering temperature.

I've used Weller, and while they have a good product, I much prefer the inexpensive Hakko unit, the 635. Adjustable temp, quick heat, and if well cared for the tips last forever.

us:

USE your brain. LEARN to conform, and refrain from top posting in Usenet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toppost
Your best bet is to get a REAL news client, and get rid of OutHouse Express as your method of reading Usenet news articles.
On 24 Mar 2006, ampdoc wrote:

Do you have a link for this product. I can't seem to locate it.
Is it available in the UK?

Here is a link to the Mfr's site and they have a new model, 936 I keyed in my model incorrectly also, it is a 935, though it seems that the two are almost identical. I've had my old unit for going on 8 yrs now. When I bought mine it was $86.00 US. Looking around I found a couple of points of contact for you in the UK who may be able to point you to a retailer.
http://www.hakkousa.com/products.asp?PID 6-12&page=1
GROSVENOR
PRIORY TEC PARK, SAXON WAY, HESSLE, EAST YORKSHIRE, HU13 9PB, UNITED KINGDOM TEL: +44-1482-627327 FAX: +44-1482-627328 E-mail: sales_AT_grosvenor-group.com
(remove _AT_ and you have the correct email)
DANCAP ELECTRONICS.
24 TRENT CRESCENT, THATCHAM, NEWBURY, BERKSHIRE, RG18 3DN. UNITED KINGDOM. TEL: +44-1635-866394 FAX: +44-1635-869589
Hope this helps.

Usually the smaller wattage irons take the thinner pencil shaped tips that are best for PCB and electronic componenets.Larger irons have larger tips and they are for larger jobs like soldering cables etc.IMHO the larger tip needs more watts to reach the right temperature to melt the solder.It's like a plumber with a torch that needs a larger flame to solder larger pipes.I have a wonder 15 W with cadmium tip for PCB jobs, and a 60 W microtec for larger ones.
-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering,freelance electrician FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr