what metal are soldering iron tips made out of usually?

Is it just mild steel or something a little more resisitant to oxidizing?

Just wonder if anyone knows off the tops of their heads

Reply to
Brent Philion

Mine are all copper ...

Reply to
Snag

The best ones are copper, which is iron-plated, then tinned with solder. The iron plating renders the copper proof against oxidation.

This is why one should use natural sea sponges for the stand, not cellulose ones. The synthetic ones tend to degrade the iron plating, if over-wiped.

Wipe the tip immediately before using, and if the iron is to lay idle for a time, tin before putting it back in the stand, and do *not* wipe it.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Reply to
David Billington

They are generally all copper. That is why they pit.At soldering temperature the copper dissolves into the solder. Some irons for electronic work are iron plated copper. Also on electronic solder Co. made a solder with a trace of Cu to try to avoid this problem.

Chuck P.

Reply to
MOP CAP

Copper that is iron-coated (if you have good ones, like those from Weller).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Copper. High-quality ones are copper plated with iron.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I would like to get a recipe for iron plating my Metcal tips. Metcal iron uses induction heated tips whose temperature is controlled by the curie point of the slug that picks up the RF. These tips are quite expensive and it would be worth my time to attempt to re plate them. Does anybody gave a good recipe for plating iron onto copper? I have the DC power supplies.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Is it worth the effort? - my Weller uses the same curie point method, and after putting 3 replacement elements into it, its headed for the junkbin. This is caused by wiping the tip on a damp sponge to clean it

- the steam produced eventually destroys the element down the barrel. Plus, weller tips have a relatively SHORT life - I recently used a HAKKO iron on a contract, and was most impressed with them- it got a real hiding, thousands of operations of desoldring/soldering for 8 hrs/day, and no sign of any wear on the tips - a few dollars more than the WELLER, but tis going to be my next iron. Plus, it had a nice "feel" to it - one of those intangible things that cant be quantified...

A query though - I read on anothe group that NASA had banned WELLER irons because of the spike induced into the tip when it switches - HAKKO apparently use zero point switching so no probs - whats the induced tip voltage on your METCAL when its on a heating cycle...?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Yes. Weller tips cycle the mechanical switch in the handle. Metcal tips use curie point to continuously affect the amount of absorbed RF energy. I other words they have no thermal hysterias. They cost $30 to$100 each and are worth every penny.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I have not tried it myself, but the Handbook of Industrial Electroplating (1947 edition) gives this formula for plating with iron:

Solution Composition:

Ferrous Chloride 96 oz. Calcium Chloride 105 oz.

Operating Conditions:

Temperature 140-160 deg. F. Current Density up to 120 A/sq. ft. ph 5 Anodes Pure Iron Vat Lead or rubber lined Agitation Desirable for high current densities

"This solution is used for depositing iron facing on printing plates, etc., and also for coating cast iron with a layer of electrolytic iron prior to hot tinning. The solution requires ageing before it will work satisfactorily and it is desireable to keep it working because if allowed to stand without working for any length of time it becomes unsatisfactory. The principal difficulty in operating this solution is the tendency to form ferric salts, which are detrimental. This may to some extent be overcome by floating on the surface small lumps of carbon or rubber. If the bath becomes oxidised it will normally be shown by a yellowish colour. Hydrochloric acid must be added and scraps of pure iron hung in the solution. The solution should be kept warm and left for several hours, preferably overnight. Anodes are preferably bagged with asbestos cloth or woven glass."

Best of luck.

Mike

Reply to
KyMike

AHA that explains the steel type look to my PACE tips

my madness is to turn myself some replacement tips for my pace irons including is possible the SMT tip shapes

Reply to
Brent Philion

Snip..

Thanks.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

According to Brent Philion :

Copper! Modern ones often have a coating of iron over the copper, to control the slow dissolution of the copper in the lead/tin alloy of the solder.

And -- those are sometimes coated with gold over the iron, to prevent corrosion of the iron before it gets tinned.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to MOP CAP :

They called it "Savabit" solder, did they not? "Multicore" strikes me as the brand involved.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

A trick I have used is to take a beat-up weler tip, saw off the tip, and drill and tap for 6-32. Then, you can make pretty much any shape you want, dip it in anti-seize, and screw it in. These tips don't last long, but they can save the day when you need something special.

Making them out of copper would probably work better than the steel and brass that I have tried.

p.

Reply to
RangersSuck

Excellent point about putting it up with solder on the tip. Keeps the tip from corroding.

I don't use a sponge hardly at all. I use my jeans, and when I was in the service, I'd often clean my iron on the pants leg of my cammies. If I ever set an electronics bench up again, I'll have a piece of old denim there just for that purpose.

Reply to
carl mciver

I am curious, where can one find high quality soldering tips that holdd solder nicely where I want it to be.

Ignoramus19961

I have copper that is 3/8" in diameter and nickel plated copper and Tin plated copper. Depends on the wattage and working temp. and end use. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Snag wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Save-a-bit (R) if I recall the copper alloy solder. Had some - haven't seen it in years. I wonder.