D series chuck mounts?

I have been shopping and search and learning about the D series cam lock chuck mounts. Mostly learning.

I now have a proper 10" four jaw chuck, with Tee slots, so I can use it for a face plate.

The OEM 3 jaw that came with my used lathe had solid jaws and the outside jaws set was missing. I started searching eBay and found a 8" D1-6, 3 jaw with two piece jaws. Good price and I figured I could remove the D1-4 adaptor from my OEM chuck and fit it to the new D1-6. This is still my plan, not problem there.

When the D-6 arrived, I was surprised that there were only 3 cam lock pins in the chuck even though the back was drilled and tapped for a total of 6 pins.

Is it a common practice to mount a chuck that only has half the cam lock pins?? As in the case of 6 pin chucks.

I went back to eBay and noted several other D1-6 cam locks that only had half their compliment of pins. What is the reasoning. I can't imagine it is economy since the most expensive part, the machining, is already done.

Just curious, and if anyone needs 3 D1-6 pins, I have them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes, it is not uncommon for some units to be made with only 3 pins. Of course, you get the best clamping with all 6 pins. One other thing is to make absolutely sure the unoccupied locking cams are not going to fly out of the spindle!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson