Cable Sizing

Hi there all, Does anyone know any good programs/websites (free or to buy) that can determine cable sizes so that I don't have to look them up (and work out volt drops) in the UK IEE 16th Edition book?

E.g. input voltage, type of containment/transit, length and current etc.

I've used the cable sizing wizard in this site:

but i'm not to sure if it's always correct.

Thanks loads, Shay

Reply to
shay

What a lazy moron.

Reply to
Bob Ferapples

Are you wiring a skyscrapper or a residence or a backyard shed? What problem do you have that you feel you need software to solve?

Reply to
mgkelson

Just asking your advice... It's a long term solution. I'm constantly calculating cable sizes and legally it needs to be right (in the UK and Ireland). I can do it manually...e.g. Mathematically by taking into consideration volt-drop, power-factor, grouping, temperature etc... but this can be tedious as I need to look up the properties of the cable etc. On average each run that I calculate is 50m - 200m. Many different cable types, from deep sea to street-lighting. DC & AC. 110V - 600V. the max current I've dealt with is 2000A.

Please don't reply if you're not going to be constructive.

Shay

Reply to
shay

Jeeze, you English guys are defensive.

About a year ago I had a temporary situation where I had to do some serious computer sort of work and it had to be portable. What I wound up doing was buying an obsolete Pocket PC on eBay (Jornada 540). It only cost $40, as I recall, and it had a good battery and came with the computer interface cables.

It sounds like what you need to do is, (1) Obtain valid, reliable information and then (2) as an option you might want to, or need to, put it in a form where its readily retrievable. The two options that I can think of for doing that is to either make an old-fashioned chart, or put it on a spread sheet, using Excel, for instance. Then as a further option you could download the spread sheet into a Pocket PC. Spread sheets aren't that hard to program, but it does require some spin up time. Or, you might be able to find a good secretary, etc., to do it for you. In any case, it looks like you are probably stuck with doing your own initial research.

Reply to
mgkelson

Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean

I've seen one based on the NEC (US). Its actually an expert system that does a whole lot more than just wire sizing. I'm not sure that'll do you any good, but I'm guessing there must be something similar for UK and other jurisdictions.

I don't know who wrote it. I saw it in use at an A&E firm in India on a US project. It may have been produced in house.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Hi there... thanks loads for your advice.

Oh... by the way... I'm Irish (the type that hates being called english)...lol I'm from Derry in N.Ireland....lol

:-)

Thanks again.... shay

Reply to
shay

This software is free but from NZ, (I think NZ, has similarities to the UK regulations: - BS7671).

I haven't used it, since I use this bought software from: -
They also had a free CD some time ago; with free software but only for a single cable, with no grouping.

The calculation is straightforward in any case, if you just want to check. (To be sure, to be sure).

Seek and you will find. Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean