Which cost more microwave or stove top

Because I have a slow drain in the kitchen sink I have poured about 2 liters of near boiling water in the drain.
Which uses less energy?
I also seem to remember that running a microwave empty is bad. Using it to heat water just seems wrong
Terry wrote:

For electricity - an electric kettle uses least.
--
Sue

Have you thought about fixing the slow drain? Probably just take off the "P-trap" and clean it out.

-
It is not the p-trap. Water has to run for over a Mountie before it backs up. I had a small amount of liquid plumber I used, but time to get more.
Skenny wrote:

Running it empty is bad but if you have a bowl of water in there it isn't empty. That is actually the best way to test one.
Effeciency wise the microwave is better than an open pot on the stove but if you have an enclosed kettle like Sue is talking about (coffee pot or whatever) with the element inside that will always be best. Virtually all the heat ends up in the water.