calrod

I am looking at an old calrod coil. In layman's terms, what is the physical difference between a 220V and a 110V heating element? I don't mean in terms of the information stamped on the coil, but rather what is done to the element to make it 110V versus 220V? Thanks Liam

Reply to
Liam

Mark Walter

Sometimes the coil will have three terminals, and the heat regulation will relate to a series/parallel and 120/220 volt change across both or one part of the element. If yours has three terminnals, that is probably the way it is regulated. The difference in "voltage characteristics" is relative to the length, cross sectional area, and the density of the conductive material inside the rod.

Reply to
Long Ranger