centrifugal switch in a 3 phase motor?

It is not the way to do it, but a "three phase" motor could run on a single phase supply if it can only get started. Otherwise, what is the function of this CENTRIFUGAL switch?

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

It is certainly possible to use switches to switch in power factor correction capacitors--but on a fractional horsepower motor? In fact it seems strange to have such a three phase motor anyway.

Again, for large motors, it might make sense for wound rotors to have series resistance in order to increase starting torque without crazily low power factor (high current).

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

It's pretty obvious that it's to detect the motor has stopped rotating, I've said that from the beginning.

Whether the original intent for this particular motor was to tell the controller to reverse the rotation to back off whatever jammed the equipment the motor was running, cut the power, or to sound an alarm to alert somebody that the motor has jammed, failed, or otherwise stopped turning we may never know. I can think of numerous uses for it, but have never actually encountered any of them in practice. I haven't seen one of these in the field and apparently nobody else here has either.

Reply to
James Sweet

There are two explanations that I can see- James has indicated one - an auxiliary shut of switch. Another could be that this motor was designed as a one size fits all- if 3 phase supply available- run as a 3 phase machine- otherwise an easy modification(with help of a capacitor) to single phase operation. Mass manufacturing cost savings being the motive.

Reply to
<dhky