Charge gel cell with car charger?

wrote:

Damn! I didn't know that Larkin and Jamie had joined up to provide a page of ignorance on Lead-Acid batteries >:-}          ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Stop lying.
The devices designed for 13.6 v typically will operate within a supply source voltage window.
12 volts is far too close to 13.6 for any device I can think of having a problem. I think you are making shit up.
On 02/26/2013 07:39 AM, SoothSayer wrote:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?246634-ATX-Power-Supply-for-Ham-Radio

You're an idiot. Those are the supply OUTPUT voltages, not the input requisite.
Which if you had any brains and took note, spans from 90 volts to 265 volts, which is also typical.
The 'typical" thing you missed is that DC fed devices ALSO operate within a RANGE of voltage sources.
sheesh.
SoothSayer wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble but he's correct, a lot of mobile equipment do not work correctly at 12V. They need to be up to 13+ volts.
Jamie
dave wrote:

12.4 volts? The cells are 2.1 volts each when fully charged & sitting idle.
"dave" Phil Allison wrote:

** Kindly point this out in the pic I posted - smartarse.
The battery will simply blow apart if overcharged.
... Phil
On 02/26/2013 03:25 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

Your photo only showed 3 sides of a six sided solid object. I do not have X-ray vision.
dave wrote:

And that's news?

No shit, dumbfuck.

No shit, dumbfuck.

But you very likely have no clue as to why.

It is also a FACT that a battery at 12 Volts is NOT discharged as you claimed, DORK.
It has nothing to do with rudeness, it has to do with your lack of accuracy.

I don't need a primer from a dipshit who cries like a wimp when he gets corrected.
And almost everyone knows that rechargeables and alkalines are not at the same voltage.
AND, asshole, they are NOT "1.5 Volt NiCads". They ARE 1.2 volt NiCads.
so, I am "rude", but YOU are "stupid".
On 02/25/2013 08:26 PM, SoothSayer wrote:

From my first comment on the thread:
"I'd find a smartcharger with a "lead-acid" setting."
"Smartcharger" being a generic term for a charger than knows what it is charging and the best way to charge it.
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Switching-power/p/sm/1058385043.htm
I have no doubt that you know way more than I do, but your actions betray a profound insecurity. I prefer being "stupid" to the obvious heavy burden of knowing enough to justify insults and abuse.
On 26/02/2013 3:26 PM, SoothSayer wrote:

Discharged is a term of dubious interpretation.
However, consider the graphs in this document:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/SB2489.pdf
It's clear that if the battery is showing 12V with no load, then you're not going to be able to draw much more charge out of it before its voltage drops to a level where you must stop or risk damage to the battery.
Sylvia.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:45:10 -0000, "Ian Field"

Until you load it.
Unloaded, an old xformer/rectifier battery charger always had significantly higher voltage without a battery on it. BIG ripple!
But once a battery is charged and even peaked out, that higher voltage peak can blow the damned things up, so all charging sessions had to be monitored to keep them from exploding. Then better chargers came out.
Now, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't one you could operate or observe with your iPad. There are Wi-Fi and/or bluetooth handheld meters now. That would be enough to know when to go shut it off.