CMOS or some kind of processor?

You might consider using a programmable relay for this too. They are just a very small PLC and they are getting quite affordable. To see one line check out Allen Bradley / Rockwell's Pico controller. I'm sure there are others at better prices, I just know this one is easy to find and you can download the software for programming Pico's free.

Doug T

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Doug T

That's what I am afraid of ;-) I am a computer junkie as it is. I have 9 PCs running around here doing different things. (30 years at IBM may have something to do with that) It was my wife who demanded that I try to keep this simple. I am still chewing through the PIC links and thinking of things I could do.

Reply to
gfretwell

So you either did not read the original, or you have no reading comprehension. I'll eliminate the need for you to read the original, by recapping: The LED's are optoisolators. The output side will control low voltage to his existing setup, which is not in question. He's looking to build a controller. His question is not "how do I connect the LEDs to the controller?" He's asking whether he ought to build the controller with 4xxx CMOS or with a small processor.

In fact, he does, probably far better than you. But that is irrelevant. It is an existing system. He's not connecting the system to the mains - it is already connected and inspected and he's been running it manually for ~ a year, AIRC. Nothing in what he plans to do is associated with isolating from the mains. He's working on the low voltage controls.

...not to mention the long line of

Bullshit. There is no kludge. Can't you read?

Reply to
ehsjr