Clock chip search *conclusion*

A while ago we talked about my search for the perfect clock chip to use for a swimming pool controller. After a lot of scratching designs on paper and running the various systems manually to see what I really needed, I came up with a very close to perfect solution. It is an irrigation timer picking relays instead of zone valves. The timer I have allows one minute to 999 minute intervals on 6 events with two 7 day programs. With 3 pole DT relays, controlled by the timer, a water thermostat and an ambient air thermostat I can make all the decisions necessary to run the solars efficiently and maintain a desired temperature with no extra logic. (sun cooperating) It can also make the decision to run at night and cool the pool. You get the timer packaged in a rain tight, U/L listed package with the display, battery backup and switches. It passed the "wife test" in that a mere mortal might actually be able to figure out what I was doing and fix it when I die. That was why all of the CMOS and PIC solutions were eventually doomed. She did not want some one of a kind thing that couldn't be figured out by your average electrician.

Thanks to all who helped me in the thought process. Being worried about the 120v side did edge me to a U/L listed "front end" although the line voltage never really gets out of the input transformer box. (probably why U/L likes it) Actually trying to write the program a processor would use allowed me to flowchart the problem and reduce it to the lowest common denominators so it was a valuable step.

Reply to
gfretwell

Is she planning on getting rid of you?

"She did not want some one of a kind thing that couldn't be figured out by your average electrician."

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I'm old and I still go fast. Shit happens

Reply to
gfretwell