Components in TV antenna selector

I am in the UK. I bought a very cheap antenna selector from my local discount store.

It has 3 UHF sockets and one UHF plug. A sliding switch connects the plug to one of the 3 sockets. Inside there are no components whatsover except the sliding switch.

Am not sure if this is for one Tv to switch between 3 antennas. Or for a single antenna to be routed to one of 3 TVs connected to the box.

Is this right? I thought there should be some coils or capacitors of something like that.

Is this device truly CRAP or should it work tolerably well in spite of the fact that it breaches good-practise antenna installation?

Reply to
Jaxx

It can be used to connect one aerial to one of (up to) 3 receivers or to connect one receiver to one of (up to) 3 aerials.

It doesn't and isn't intended to split the signal and thus doesn't need the coils or capacitors you expected to see.

It should manage to do the job for which it was intended, ie part of a home broadcast reception system. It will be less than ideal in many respects, but that shouldn't matter - it will still work.

Obviously if the application was more demanding, it wouldn't do, but a device made to meet that requirement would be over-engineered for this one. Enjoy.

However, if you really did want something that would split the signal into 2/3 paths, it isn't going to be much use, as is. You may be able to modify it to suit - in which case a better quality switch could actually be harder, as it would quite possibly terminate/short circuit, the non-active sockets..

Reply to
Palindrome

You get what you pay for (if you are lucky).

Small sithches have small enough capacitance to serve the switching function at UHF.

Your choice in the matter.

In the cse where only one circuit is active at a time, impedance changing is not required.

Crap may not be the best choice of words. It's simplistic. At best it will work where you are obliged to have several antennas, perhaps rabbit ears vs dipole or bow tie, or several UHF bow-ties aimed in various directions. Or you can use it to send the signal from a very good antenna to any one of three TV's or VCR's.

Angelo Campanella

Reply to
Angelo Campanella