Conduit fill question

I have a question for the experienced electricians in the group. I need to run a #4-3 type SER cable through an underground conduit. I can find tables in the NEC that cover conduit fill limits for single conductors, but not for cabled conductors. Is the cable considered a single wire for this purpose or 4 wires? Thanks

Reply to
Tom Lager

Per note 9 NEC 2002 Chpt 9 Tables, multiconductor cables are to treated as single conductor cable. Do get the correct cross section area from manufacturer specs.

Reply to
newsreader

The cross section is the diameter, based on the widest dimension. If it gets twisted that will be the swept area when you pull it in.

Reply to
gfretwell

There is a table in the back of the book for cross sectional area. Find out what it is for one wire, multiply by 4, then check the other table for 40% fill area.

Reply to
MLR

snipped-for-privacy@nospamcox.net (newsreader) wrote in :

I thought that was correct, just wanted a second opinion. Per Mfr. diameter is .77" so I can use 3" conduit to meet 40% fill maximum. Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
Tom Lager

Well .77 is way too high for #4 wire.

You are looking for area in SQ INCHES from table 5A sect 70-887 if it is aluminum. For copper it is in table 5 sect 70-884.

Copper = .0824 Aluminum = .0881

.0881 X 4 conductors = .3524

According to table 4, sect 70-882, you can use an 1-1/4" Conduit.

AEC Electric & Controls Michael R snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobalremovethiscrap.net

Reply to
MLR

I think cross section is by area, not diameter. Therfore: ((.77^2)/(.4))^1/2 = 1.217. So, 1-1/4 inch conduit should be OK.

Reply to
Bob Eld

I chuckle every time I hear the question....How many #12s can you put in a half inch pipe. Someone asks.......What's the record?

I know you wanted a serious answer. Sorry I don't have one. :)

Reply to
Terry

Depends on how many bends and LB's. I think I may have set a few records...

MLR

Reply to
MLR

With, or without insulation? ;-)