Convert cold fill washing machine to hot and cold fill

I have just bought a single fill washing machine and modified the water input by using a switched 3/4 inch switched tap splitter. I have to turn the hot water on by hand, and when it's full turn it off and turn the cold on.--- But I have noticed when it is filling it automatically switches from the left hand fill in the soap dispenser, to the middle one. Meaning the two solenoids (hot and cold) are still fitted and working. All they've done is blank off the hot fitting and siamesed the two pipes internally. So all that would be need to make it dual fill would be One pipe fitting and two bits of hose.

Reply to
Potrice

Cold water only fill is used these days so that you don't "cook" in common stains. If you fill with hot water you could make stains permanent.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes but the issue was often that in many homes where the water is only heated by an immersion heater, switching to hot might not actually give hot water, so then the machine would still need to heat the water itself, and also of course the control equipment to create the exact temp needed would not work if scolding hot water came in first. I suspect these variables are why they went over to cold fill, they then have full control. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

???? 15/11/2020 12:15 ?.?., ?/? Potrice ??????:

In Europe, all washing machinew have been and are cold fill. They all are now computer controlled, with a microcontroller obviously, and a PCB, of course. Why would you want to make it hot fill as you're not saving up anything, here most houses have solar water heaters so hot water is practically free, even with minimum sunshine in winter.it's also very usual in Israel (in hebrew it's dud shemesh- ??? (??? in greek it's heliothermo-?????????. there are many types of cold fill washing machines here. from 5 kilos up to 10 and with the usual universal brushed motors for AC to brushless direct drive motors. traditionally they had asynchronous motors with run capacitors and electromechanical programmers. very durable.you could even take the motor for rewinding. now the whole motor-tacho assembly must be exchanged if defective.

Reply to
Dimitris Tzortzakakis

So, it seems that the common opinion is that body oil stains on sheets,pillowcases, socks, underwear, etc and oil and grease stains in clothes will come out cleaner with COLD than with HOT water? I find that very hard to believe.

Reply to
Buffalo

No, its that washing machines are designed to take out the majority of common stains which for some require a cold wash and for others maybe a hotter wash so they start with cold and then gradually heat the water. It is the detergent doing most of the work rather than the hot water.

For instance, try getting blood out using hot water first.

Consider hand washing dinner plates and cooking utensils - you are not going to plunge your hands into 90C water but you can still get all the fat etc. off with much colder water and some washing up liquid.

If you take a bath or shower what temperature water do you use to clean yourself of all the bodily fats etc.? You'd probably have to give yourself a boil wash if you didn't use soap, gel or shampoo.

95% of machine washes in my household are with cold water, no heating, in my washing machine.
Reply to
alan_m

On 01 Dec 2020, Buffalo wrote

You seem to be confusing the terms "cold fill" and "cold wash": the machine will heat the cold-fill water when you set it for a hot wash.

Given the reduced amount of water used by modern washing machines and the distance in most houses between the HW tank and the washing machine, most of the "hot fill" will be what's currently sitting in the pipes, and the machine will have to heat it up anyway if you're going to run a hot wash.

Reply to
HVS

I had a hot+cold fill machine and it took 30 minutes to fill with hot, so I started off with a programme that did a cold fill and pushed the knob in and turned it round to the right programme and pulled it out again to do what I wanted it to do (which started by heating the water up). I think they are supposed to have valves to equalise the pressure of hot and cold which was probably not set right.

(Y-hoses were provided for if you only had a cold tap.)

I have noted that the big clanky knob method, which turns round during operation was continued even when they obviously used microcontrollers to sequence the operations. Now the big knob (if present) stays still.

Reply to
Max Demian

Not really confusing the issues. I was pointing out that a modern machine doesn't need to do a boil wash to remove certain contaminants from clothes and that the temperature of the water possibly plays a lesser part in the total washing process.

Irrespective of the final temperature of the water and/or the selected program the wash will start with a cold wash with detergent to try and remove common stains that may be cooked in if hotter water is first used. With this initial cold wash the machine has enough water to complete the wash. It doesn't discard this water or detergent for the rest of the wash - it just heats the water, if required. There is no point at which a hot feed would be used on a modern machine.

Especially as modern machines are also designed to use a lot less water than their counter parts of yesteryear. The last machine I've owned that had a (working) hot feed was 30 years ago!

Reply to
alan_m

Ever do your dishes in cold water? :)

Reply to