Drawing in electronic engineering

Hello everyone! I'm a student in electronic engineering. We spend a lot of time solving differential equations, finding Fourier series and so on, but we are not learning very much about Computer Aided Design (CAD). My question is what software is being used for systems design in the "real world" (wherever that is :)? I'm interested in everything about the design, system emulation of any kind (There must be something else than Pspice?), the transformation from schematic to PCB layout, etc. I also wanted to know if there is a universal standard or recommendation about how to set up schematics for a large system. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-Steini

Reply to
Steini

JeffM

For smallish scale teaching we're using electronics workbench by National instruments, the multisim9m I'm using is a type of Pspice. There's a 40 day trial version and student versions, there's also other add on bits for auto-routing & board layout. Another package is labview but that's more to do with instrument analysis I think.

Hope it helps

Reply to
whisky-dave

There are open source solutions that are gratis and libre

--no limitations to encumber users (especially nice for students.) http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:vYwHVQAGkr8J:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software+software-libre+free-from-onerous-licensing-restrictions+Disclaimers+not-the-same-as+zero-price If you are running Linux, gEDA is a great solution. Stuart Brorson's install CD makes that duck soup. Many parts of the gEDA suite have been ported to various platforms, but the repositories (e.g., Windows binaries) are not current with the developments made to the core code.

KiCAD is another open source solution. It is ported to multiple platforms and most folks (especially those not running Linux) find it easier than gEDA (which is more powerful.)

LTspice (aka SwitcherCAD III) is a Windoze app that will also run under WINE. (It is freeware but is not open source.)

Reply to
JeffM