Automotive engineering / engine design books (plus a bit of a rant!!)

I'm interested in learning a bit more about the good ol' IC engine and wondered if anyone had some good books they could recommend. I want
something that goes into good details with plenty of maths (degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics means that equations don't frighten me) and fairly up to date. I'm in the UK...
It's a sad reflection on University courses that they don't teach you any basic engineering stuff as is discussed on this group - nothing about machining (OK, we had a half day machining course where we made a very useful soldering iron stand...) or tolerancing, tooling etc. Just maths, maths and more bloody maths... next to a picture of some bit of aeromotive equipment we were never going to see.
This is why I have bought myself a lathe and keep asking stupid questions on here...

No math included, but *very* interesting from the historical view: Lyle Cunnings "Internal Fire". In my eyes a must for everyone who is in IC engines.
And then you can buy any books from Springer-Verlag that have to do with combustion engines. They do have math in them, if that's an argument. I was never disappointed with them. But I don't know which ones were translated or available in English.

These are easier to answer.
Nick
--
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Available now in USA / Canada

Depends how deep your pockets are, for a start:
Gordon Blair (aka Prof Blair) Design and Simulation of four stroke engines isbn 0768004403
He has also done a few other books (one on 2 strokes for instance)
John Heywood Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals isbn 007028637
Edward Obert Internal Combustion Engines and Air Pollution isbn 035204560
(this last one might be out of print, my copy is about 30 years old)
If you are going to buy them then it might be worthwhile joining the SAE as they give around 20% discount on books.
www.sae.org
Robin,
I was told that Four Stroke Performance Tuning by A Graham Bel (ISBN: 1859604358) is very good. Latest version has ECUs and injectio covered. Not read it myself yet, though.
Ro
-- elj221 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- elj221c's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u757 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tR131
A few books 1.Fundamentals of motor vehicle technology V.A.hillier & f.pittuck
2.Fundamentals of automotive electronics VA.hillier
3.Technology for motor mechanics 1,2,3,4.
4.Auto service and repair..martin w stockel.
All the best....mark
Thanks for all the replies, guys - this must be the most helpful group out there!! Down to the library it is, I think...
mark wrote:

Robin Wrote:

Yer def. at the wrong place for that stuff! I think you would enjoy the model engineering forums... do a search o yahoo groups.
I like Lumley's books, and littleton did a great one on radial engin design (its old, but very good). Between the two and my own ideas, I'v been designing and am building my own scale gasoline engines (4 strok only, some air cooled, some water cooled, radial and in-line - have tw going right now
-- spinnett ----------------------------------------------------------------------- spinnetti's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?uc7 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tR131