Fire Hazard? florescent bulb

A compact florescent light bulb in a lamp burned the other day. The ceramic part of the bulb was very hot and chared. Hasanyone ever heard of this happening to bulb of this type? It isn't a halogen type, just a spiral type compact flores.

Also... is a loose fitting plug in a recepticle or a popping light switch a fire hazard?

Reply to
fre

Yes I have seen that before. Never caused a fire for me. I used to use the CF's from Ikea and then switched to lights of America.

Reply to
SQLit

Inside the base, where the electronics is housed, there is a fuse in series with the live conductor. Gene

Reply to
Gene

I have used CFLs for many years and have seen them die. They either just stop working or emit a small pop with an odor. They seem to roast the capacitors on the output. They should not be a fire hazard. The base is usually made out of a flame resistant plastic. I was curious myself so I tried to ignite one that I had dismantled. The plastic chars, but won't sustain ignition. John

Reply to
JohnR